Break in procedure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Roarke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning on running it hardER at various RPM's and keep it locked out of maybe 6 thru 10 until I get on the highway and then open up all but 8, 9 and 10. I'll try to stay 3000 and over but under 5000 rpm for the first couple hundred miles. What do you think, what are you gonna do? Go by the manual? Anyone have a link to it?

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Page 288 of the 2017 F150 owners manual, although not Raptor specific.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2017-F-150-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_08_2016.pdf

BREAKING-IN

You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 miles (480 kilometers). During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.

Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 miles (1600 kilometers). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine. Do not tow during the first 1000 miles (1600 kilometers).

onebadf150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When do you guys normally do your first oil change? I've heard conflicting opinions, some say in the first 500-800 miles where others say at the normal scheduled interval.

nitronate33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
start engine, slam foot to the floor and drive it like you stole it.

in all seriousness, the idea of 3000 mile oil changes and extensive break-in periods are from days of old when the tolerances and precision of manufacturing was far worse.

i do two things. i don't drive it too hard for the first couple of hundred miles and change the oil after about 1000-1500 miles. i've never seen even a glisten of metallic in a first oil change, but i like to get the factory stuff out and put in a good synthetic.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
in all seriousness, the idea of 3000 mile oil changes and extensive break-in periods are from days of old when the tolerances and precision of manufacturing was far worse.
For engines, yes. Long break-ins to "seat the rings" are a thing of the past. However, the transmission gears and ring and pinion still need to wear-in together. That is the reasoning behind the 1000 miles and no towing.

Last edited:

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also heard rumors of old break-in procedures being more about setting driver habits than actual mechanical break-in.

I can see that; if you get someone in the habit of driving gently, OF COURSE the mechanical bits on the vehicle will last longer than if they leave the stealership sideways in a cloud of tire smoke and continue to drive it that way on a consistent basis.

OP
OP
M

Mr Roarke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When do you guys normally do your first oil change? I've heard conflicting opinions, some say in the first 500-800 miles where others say at the normal scheduled interval.
I plan to change it at 500, then 1500 and then at 4500 running conventional or whatever they recommend(which is probably a synthetic) and then using an approved full synthetic.

In that video they never mention a break in. They probably ran it hard to start.

Last edited:

yenrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its probably still Motorcraft synthetic blend of some weight - I don't know why they don't have a full synthetic oil?
Full synthetic is my preference and I have always used either Mobil 1 until I bought the '14 - I have been letting the dealer change the oil and its Motorcraft synthetic blend

matt33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its probably still Motorcraft synthetic blend of some weight - I don't know why they don't have a full synthetic oil?
Full synthetic is my preference and I have always used either Mobil 1 until I bought the '14 - I have been letting the dealer change the oil and its Motorcraft synthetic blend

Motorcraft does offer a full synthetic oil. I had my Ford dealer use it for my oil changes, I plan to do the same with my 2017.