Break-in oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron Lanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have 500 miles on my 2020 SCAB. I can't find anything about break-in oil !! Or when to do the first oil change. Anyone have anything ?

Two Dogs

Reaction score
What you have to do is change the oil before the oil life monitor hits zero. Anything more than that is "want to". I changed mine at 1,000 miles because it made me feel good. I change at 5,000 mile intervals with full synthetic and use an oil analysis company. My results say I could go longer but it's easier to change the oil and rotate the tires at 5,000. The next 5 posts will probably say something completely different. I like pie.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There isn't much in modern engines to "break in". The only thing that wears in is the rings, which was done in the first 100 miles. It's all designed not to have a break in: roller valve train, coated bearings etc. Change the oil now or at whatever the manual states and don't sweat it.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I only have 500 miles on my 2020 SCAB. I can't find anything about break-in oil !! Or when to do the first oil change. Anyone have anything ?

AFAIK, factory fill is just regular 5w30. Keep an eye on the level for the first OCI.

Do whatever you feel is necessary in terms of mileage. Lots of different opinions and school of thought.

For me, I changed my first at 5k miles and had to top up maybe half a quart during that time.

I then put Rotella T6 and then Amsoil SS/MC oil filter. I like the SS and it doesn’t burn at all.
I change at 5-6k miles.

BigRick73

Reaction score
I was down 1/2 quart at 3000 miles. Topped to off and at 5000 miles the level hadn’t gone down at all. Changed at 5000 and every 5000 since with full synthetic. I check every 1000 miles and it hasn’t used any since the 3000 mile add. I highly recommend every 5000 miles with full synthetic.
Enjoy your truck!

Bowewelding

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed mine first at 2500 miles with Ford full synthetic then at 5000 and every 5k after that running motorcraft full synthetic.

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed at 1500 and plan on doing it every 5k. My truck was leaking oil when I got it and turned out to be the oil cooler o-rings. Ford did a full oil/filter change for me when they fixed it...so 2500 miles with 2 oil changes already. Got a Fumoto plug and going to get a filter relocation kit before my next change to avoid dripping oil all the time or pulling off my pans to clean them.

Bowewelding

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did not know there was a relocation for the filter..gonna have to get one of those!!!!

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If your going to be changing it yourself at home, do yourself a big favor and replace the oil pan bolt with a Fumoto drain valve and accessory hose. You will see what I mean upon your first change. The back skid plate collects a lot of the drained oil.