GEN 2 Brand New Raptor Just Blew a Tie Rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Battlezone396

Reaction score
I just purchased a certificate pre-owned 2017 raptor last Friday 3-8. I couldn't be happier with my purchase, after many years of saving I got my dream truck.

Unfortunately, I hit a large metal object driving home today and blew a tie rod... I dropped it off at the ford dealer a few hours ago waiting to get an estimate tomorrow.

I'm skeptical with dealers as the Ford service advisor said I may have to go through my Insurance, implying this would be a big job. Most people have at least a $500 auto insurance deductible, it's hard to imagine a tie rod would warrant an insurance claim. My collision deductible is $1000.

Just curious how much something this would cost on a raptor? After doing some research it appears the tie rod is $200 and a labor estimate is anywhere from $150-300. If that's correct I should be looking at worse case around $500 on the high end. Any advice or recommendations would be great.

I called a local tire shop that's been in business in my area for 35 years. The shop stated they cannot order the tie rod and I would have to order that through ford however, the labor would only be $175. Thoughts on this option should the dealer come up with an overpriced invoice?

Thanks in advance for any comments, I'm a little discouraged as I just got my raptor so any advice is appreciated.

FrodoTBaggins88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a tie rod I would just order one myself, measure where the old one was set, replace it myself and take it in for an alignment. Tie rods are super easy to change out. If you're even mildly mechanically-inclined you can do it. If you're not interested in doing it yourself, just order the part and have your tire shop swap it out. It's no big deal. The dealer will likely overcharge because well, that's what dealers usually do haha.

If it's just the rod, it's gonna be somewhere around here:

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-kit-tie-rod_hl3z-3280-a.html

Last edited:

mp_tx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really brand new, just new to you.

Hitting a large metal object probably caused much more unobservable damage. The tie rod might just be the visible part. If you hit something hard enough to blow out a forged and heat treated tie rod end, I would expect more suspension damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Crawl underneath the front, have a buddy saw the steering wheel back and forth, replace anything that is moving that shouldn't, then get an alignment. If they can't align into spec. take it to the garage.