Brand new 2019 SCrew stolen within 24 hours of picking it up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
FrodoTBaggins88

FrodoTBaggins88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My condolences!!!!! I hope your insurance company covers everything. I also hope that dealer gives you one at invoice. They still make money from the hold back when selling at invoice.

Thanks man. In fact they had no sympathy for me at all and tried to nickel and dime me for all the "dealer add-ons" on the second truck as well. The very same finance manager that just told me how he had his truck stolen a couple months ago trying to milk me for every penny he could.

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the lock jimmied on my dirtymax. There was nothing in the truck, so they got nothing. I didn't notice it until the next day because I unlock with the fob, but realized there was something rattling in the door.

Very common practice, not unique to Ford, but usually doesn't lead to the vehicle getting stolen.

Many years ago, I caught a guy breaking into my car in SATX while at a hotel on I10. I think a lot of hotels on the interstate are ripe for this activity. Easy escape route, cars in a massive non-personal lot.

OP
OP
FrodoTBaggins88

FrodoTBaggins88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the lock jimmied on my dirtymax. There was nothing in the truck, so they got nothing. I didn't notice it until the next day because I unlock with the fob, but realized there was something rattling in the door.

Very common practice, not unique to Ford, but usually doesn't lead to the vehicle getting stolen.

Many years ago, I caught a guy breaking into my car in SATX while at a hotel on I10. I think a lot of hotels on the interstate are ripe for this activity. Easy escape route, cars in a massive non-personal lot.

Yeah it was just a perfect combination of events to enable the truck to be stolen. If I had known how bad the theft problem was in Texas I would have chosen another truck in another state. The post is mainly to inform people about how easy it is to break into these trucks, in case they weren't aware. I live in a nice, safe area now and it's just not something I have to think about, so it wasn't on my mind when I parked at the hotel. You can break into these trucks with a screwdriver or channel locks in 5 seconds and not set off the alarm. It's not a job that requires skill. An absolute moron could learn how to do it in 5 minutes on youtube, and steal a screwdriver or channel locks to do the job. It's not like breaking into other trucks, they target these trucks specifically because it's so easy to break into them.

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Breaking into a GMT800 truck is just as easy, it happened to mine. Also circumvents the alarm because opening it by turning the cylinder tells the alarm things are OK.

I wouldn't say TX has a super high crime rate, but I think hotels along the interstate are a hot spot. For a while, and likely still, there was a pretty high rate of 2500HD type truck theft for border running via organized crime rings. I didn't figure a raptor was that desirable because its payload is too small, but who knows.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks man. In fact they had no sympathy for me at all and tried to nickel and dime me for all the "dealer add-ons" on the second truck as well. The very same finance manager that just told me how he had his truck stolen a couple months ago trying to milk me for every penny he could.
They earned the term Stealership!

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I smell a rat

Either an insider from the dealership or some one who watched you buy and saw the second key get stashed.

I would ask the dealership if they have video from that day.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like we need a thread where we ask all new owners if the ford dealer set up their ford pass before they left the lot.

Then if we get a NO, ask the new owner to set it up, ASAP, AND give the dealer a bad review.

After many bad reviews, the ford dealers will see the light, or bad reviews hitting their bottom line.
My Ford Dealer in Tennessee did not setup Ford Pass App either. The Salesman showed me all the basic stuff but did not know the advanced tech features or apps. He did offer to have a Tech show me in detail but I declined. I set Ford Pass up a few weeks after getting to Las Vegas. After learning in this thread how EZ it is to break into a Raptor, I feel lucky that we made it cross country without any theft attempts with a big Uhaul trailer on the back with all our stuff in it!

A couple of the 3 motels were in kind of sketchy areas but in all cases I was able to park right outside the door to our room. Luckily!

As a sidenote, I am superstitious about the new car temporary cardboard plates. That could have made your truck more attractive. I have had bad things happen a couple of times with new cars with temp tags. Never a theft but huge parking lot door dings that could not have been accidental. Like "oh yea, you got a new car/truck - wham"! I already had TN plates on the Raptor since the dealer held it a month after I bought it until I could get out there from Las Vegas to pick it up. It was Grindstaff in Elizabethton, TN. They have a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Dealership and Dodge Dealer next door. They picked me up at the airport when I came in and my Raptor was ready to go! They treated me well.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sucks.

One additional thing I didn't see mentioned - you could add a "jimmi jammer" lock guard on the locks. I had those on my gen1. Its a steel plate that goes in the door to try to prevent this type of thing.

https://jimmijammer.com/

Thanks for that recommendation. Jimmijammer is a great way to stop Slimjims that pros and tow truck drivers use. Slimjim looks like a hacksaw blade with a slot in it at the end that grabs the door look rod after slipping it between the glass and door weatherstrip. I don't think it will stop the brute force screwdriver and channel locks door lock cylinder forced entry.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that recommendation. Jimmijammer is a great way to stop Slimjims that pros and tow truck drivers use. Slimjim looks like a hacksaw blade with a slot in it at the end that grabs the door look rod after slipping it between the glass and door weatherstrip. I don't think it will stop the brute force screwdriver and channel locks door lock cylinder forced entry.
Look at the link. jimmi jammer is specifically designed to protect the internal door lock hardware against screwdriver intrusion and manipulation of the lock components to gain entry. From their page on "what is a jimmi jammer":

A custom formed steel plate that bolts to the backside of your door handle, preventing thieves from prying into the handle seam or punching the lock cylinder into the door.