Brand new 2019 SCrew stolen within 24 hours of picking it up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
FrodoTBaggins88

FrodoTBaggins88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that sucks. Theft Recovery black mark never leaves the vehicle history, and really affects resale.

To follow up on my theft recovery, I got paid quickly and then truck was recovered. Insurance totaled it out and I bought it back for pennies on the dollar. Dropped $500 in new door lock, ignition, and trans refresh, and i still daily it and use it as my tow pig (2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm glad it panned out that way for you, I was kinda hoping for a similar scenario. I know how badly it hurts value. At the end of the day the truck's condition is going to be equal to new condition, I won't let insurance off the hook until it is. If they are choosing the route of repairing it, I'm going to make sure they repair it fully and I don't care if it costs them $60k. I don't care if I spend money on attorney fees suing them until they do get it to new condition, but I'm not going to let them do a shoddy job of repairing it.

Right now I'm leaning towards starting a desert/off-roading tour business and using it as a guide vehicle. It would hopefully pay for itself and I could write off some of the losses. It's something I've been thinking about for a while anyway so maybe this is just some extra motivation.

Daxton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad it panned out that way for you, I was kinda hoping for a similar scenario. I know how badly it hurts value. At the end of the day the truck's condition is going to be equal to new condition, I won't let insurance off the hook until it is. If they are choosing the route of repairing it, I'm going to make sure they repair it fully and I don't care if it costs them $60k. I don't care if I spend money on attorney fees suing them until they do get it to new condition, but I'm not going to let them do a shoddy job of repairing it.

Right now I'm leaning towards starting a desert/off-roading tour business and using it as a guide vehicle. It would hopefully pay for itself and I could write off some of the losses. It's something I've been thinking about for a while anyway so maybe this is just some extra motivation.
Excellent! Love to hear the positive thinking. Best wishes to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my truck was an 802a and I had the add-on shock sensor alarm as well. The dealer said they install them on every Raptor as soon as they come in. On the security footage no alarms went off. When they unlock your truck by breaking the lock cylinder or moving the lock rod, the truck thinks you used the metal key to unlock it. They got in and drove away like no big deal, gone in under a minute. I mean you know it's bad when 3 out of 3 people you talk to in a city has had their truck stolen.

This is an extremely misleading statement. Defeating the key lock only creates a delay IT DOES NOT disable the alarm. If you don't start it with the FOB within 12 seconds the alarm still goes off even if broken into through the key lock. I hate it when mis information is spread. Here is a copy paste fro mthe owners manual :
Disarming the Alarm Disarm the alarm by any of the following actions: • Press the power door unlock button within the 20-second pre-armed mode. • Unlock the doors with the remote control or keyless entry keypad. If equipped with intelligent access, you can use the unlock sensor on the exterior door handle. See Locking and Unlocking (page 68). • Switch the ignition on or start your vehicle. • Use a key in the driver door lock cylinder to unlock your vehicle, then switch the ignition on within 12 seconds.

OP
OP
FrodoTBaggins88

FrodoTBaggins88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an extremely misleading statement. Defeating the key lock only creates a delay IT DOES NOT disable the alarm. If you don't start it with the FOB within 12 seconds the alarm still goes off even if broken into through the key lock. I hate it when mis information is spread. Here is a copy paste fro mthe owners manual :
Disarming the Alarm Disarm the alarm by any of the following actions: • Press the power door unlock button within the 20-second pre-armed mode. • Unlock the doors with the remote control or keyless entry keypad. If equipped with intelligent access, you can use the unlock sensor on the exterior door handle. See Locking and Unlocking (page 68). • Switch the ignition on or start your vehicle. • Use a key in the driver door lock cylinder to unlock your vehicle, then switch the ignition on within 12 seconds.

Read the rest of the thread homes, the key was inside so once they broke in they started it up. In this specific case the alarm never went off. I never said it disables your alarm, I said the truck thinks they unlocked it with a key, which is true.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here's a new one. There's a Black Box signal amplifier that can capture your key FOB signal then the crooks hold the box next to the door, open the lock, and drive away!

The only way to protect against this is to put your key FOB inside a sheet metal (not aluminum) Faraday Box to block interception of your key FOB signal. The sheet metal box needs to have a bottom, top, and 4 sides to work. It should also be grounded to true earth ground (the 3rd wire connection on any electrical outlet).

Theres a You Tube Video of pros stealing a Mercedes 550 SL AMG in less than 30 seconds! No alarm, unlock door, and pushbutton start just like if you had the FOB in your pocket!

Aloha, HT

joegie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here's a new one. There's a Black Box signal amplifier that can capture your key FOB signal then the crooks hold the box next to the door, open the lock, and drive away!

The only way to protect against this is to put your key FOB inside a sheet metal (not aluminum) Faraday Box to block interception of your key FOB signal. The sheet metal box needs to have a bottom, top, and 4 sides to work. It should also be grounded to true earth ground (the 3rd wire connection on any electrical outlet).

Theres a You Tube Video of pros stealing a Mercedes 550 SL AMG in less than 30 seconds! No alarm, unlock door, and pushbutton start just like if you had the FOB in your pocket!

Aloha, HT

your actual key needs to be fairly close for this to work also

OP
OP
FrodoTBaggins88

FrodoTBaggins88

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Aloha, HT

I've seen some videos on that. People were stealing Teslas like that. At least Tesla wised up and added a pin code to drive the car. Nothing can bypass it (within reason), you have to enter the pin to drive even with the key in hand.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea well our Raptors dont have a PIN. If your Remote Start and Alarm Arm work, the Key FOB is close enough for the signal to be Hijacked from outside next to your truck.

The good news is only Pros will have this Black Box. So hopefully, its not a big threat.

Isnt technology wonderful!?

joegie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i heard the working distance is anywhere from 5-10', had a few friends who had their cars rummaged through up in seattle. have seen video of my neighborhood where they're using this technology also.

dbull65

Reaction score
So this past weekend, my wife and I were having dinner at a Steak House in Northeastern San Antonio, by the Northstar Mall. at about 9:30 pm, I got an alert on my Ford App that my alarm was triggered. I ran out of the restaurant, by the time I got to my truck, there was no one there. I did not notice any damage and nothing was taken. I assumed maybe a passing vehicle set off the alarm. The next day, I notice a wire in the front grill. Turns out it was my horn wire. Then I checked my lock and sure enough my lock was jacked. I am glad they did not get my truck, but I was really mad that some one would try. Luckily, I have 0 deductible on my Comprehensive insurance so it won't cost me anything to get it fixed. Not sure if I scared them off, or maybe another customer, or they could not get it started before I got there. Again, just happy that it was not stolen.