Brand new 2019 SCrew stolen within 24 hours of picking it up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daxton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've lived near San Antonio for almost 10 years, we bought a house a few miles outside city limits after I retired from the military. My wife is a cancer survivor and San Antonio has outstanding military hospitals. They're still building homes in my area and new communities are being planned and built every year. During daylight everything looks nice and safe and comfortable. But at night the rats come out.

Property crime is ridiculous. Every single week SpotCrime shows vehicle thefts and burglaries all around us. My security cameras show thieves prowling the area almost every night between midnight and 3am-4am. My next door neighbor's F-350 was stolen out of his driveway using a tow truck. Across the street, F-250 with a screwdriver. Neighbors wake up to trucks on blocks with no wheels. Mid-day home burglaries happen, occasionally with residents home.

Part of the problem is our proximity to Mexico. But another is unfortunately that the theft trade and illegal immigration are an accepted culture of the city. There's a thriving market fencing stolen property. Flea markets, permanent yard sales, etc. Even in my new neighborhood there are "coyote" houses on every street with 5-6 vehicles in front and probably a dozen rotating residents. They announce "warrant roundups" on the news and my street has been blocked off at least 3 times by the Sheriff department to surround various houses and serve arrest warrants. Anyone you meet here is 50/50 on legal status.

Retiring as a San Antonio resident has been a culture shock for us. I'm not from Texas and was active duty military for almost 30 years. I was accustomed to a disciplined law-abiding culture and a suburban lifestyle. We've lived all over the world and in much of the United States, we've seen some things. San Antonio is striking it its lawlessness, we even have dozens of law enforcement officers arrested every year.
Your still here?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LeCreaux

Reaction score
Your still here?

Only for the military medical care. Our grown kids ask us the same thing every time they visit. Our eldest daughter is an Air Force captain in Washington DC. Our baby daughter is a GS government auditor in Salt Lake City, Utah. Our son is active duty Air Force in North Carolina. They were all military brats in school when we arrived here 10 years ago but my wife and I are the only ones who stayed. We got big dogs, I'm licensed to carry and do, we adapted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FrodoTBaggins88

FrodoTBaggins88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on the stolen truck situation: truck was recovered and once the Border Patrol did their fingerprinting and stuff they released the truck to local PD where my insurance company collected it and did their initial estimates. I haven't seen it in person yet but they uploaded like 50 photos. It's really not as bad as I expected, no major damage from the photos. Insurance paid to have it shipped back to me in Utah, so it's on its way to me now. From the photos there was some minor scraping on driver rear quarter and shattered tail light lens. The rear seats were missing as they were planning to use it to haul people over the border but didn't make it that far. Laredo border patrol got them trying to go into Mexico. Once the truck gets to me I am going to go over it with the finest of toothed combs, then it is going to the best shop in the area where we are going to over it again together and measure the frame, etc. I am going to make absolutely sure that nothing gets missed and insurance is going to make this thing like it just left the showroom. What I do with it after that, I don't really know. I don't particularly want to pay for 2 Raptors as appealing as 2 Raptors sounds.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
Update on the stolen truck situation: truck was recovered and once the Border Patrol did their fingerprinting and stuff they released the truck to local PD where my insurance company collected it and did their initial estimates. I haven't seen it in person yet but they uploaded like 50 photos. It's really not as bad as I expected, no major damage from the photos. Insurance paid to have it shipped back to me in Utah, so it's on its way to me now. From the photos there was some minor scraping on driver rear quarter and shattered tail light lens. The rear seats were missing as they were planning to use it to haul people over the border but didn't make it that far. Laredo border patrol got them trying to go into Mexico. Once the truck gets to me I am going to go over it with the finest of toothed combs, then it is going to the best shop in the area where we are going to over it again together and measure the frame, etc. I am going to make absolutely sure that nothing gets missed and insurance is going to make this thing like it just left the showroom. What I do with it after that, I don't really know. I don't particularly want to pay for 2 Raptors as appealing as 2 Raptors sounds.
Um, I'd tell insurance company to keep it. NO way in hell I'd let them 'ship it to me'. They own it as far as I'm concerned.

Get a new one.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely agree above, absolute best case you will be faced with diminished value when reselling. If it were mine I would never want to see it again, I would never be able to trust it, always have negative feeling about the truck, and would move forward fresh. Good luck

OP
OP
FrodoTBaggins88

FrodoTBaggins88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you guys have dealt with insurance claims before but unfortunately it’s not that simple. The insurance company makes the call to total it or not and in this case it’s probably not a total loss. Unless we find it has a bent frame or something then I don’t have a choice in the matter. Believe me, I’ve spoken to 2 lawyers about it already and unfortunately that’s just how insurance works, or at least my insurance.

And I already bought a new one. I will have 2 Raptors when the stolen one gets back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Not sure if you guys have dealt with insurance claims before but unfortunately it’s not that simple. The insurance company makes the call to total it or not and in this case it’s probably not a total loss. Unless we find it has a bent frame or something then I don’t have a choice in the matter. Believe me, I’ve spoken to 2 lawyers about it already and unfortunately that’s just how insurance works, or at least my insurance.

And I already bought a new one. I will have 2 Raptors when the stolen one gets back.

I am here to help. Have them drop it at my house. I will drive it 90 miles south to any chosen hotel in San Antonio and leave it in the parking lot. Problem solved, pay for my Uber back home.

mp_tx

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So they did not pay you out on it before it was recovered? Its been almost 5 weeks since the theft occurred—my auto theft claim was handled in less than 2 weeks (USAA). Was your insurance company dragging their feet to pay out, or were you holding out for more, and it bit you in the ass?

OP
OP
FrodoTBaggins88

FrodoTBaggins88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So they did not pay you out on it before it was recovered? Its been almost 5 weeks since the theft occurred—my auto theft claim was handled in less than 2 weeks (USAA). Was your insurance company dragging their feet to pay out, or were you holding out for more, and it bit you in the ass?

Your first theory is correct. They were actually ready to pay it out after 15 days and even sent me the settlement value, but they could not issue a check until the state sent them a copy of the title. The state couldn't send them a copy because the truck was so new the title wasn't in their system yet. I hounded them daily trying to make it move faster. They ended up finding the truck before the check was issued so they said I have to take it back because they found the truck within 30 days. I argued with them for over an hour and spoke to 2 attorneys about it. There's just nothing I can do, it's the law in the state of Texas and they are within the law here. In my opinion it's ******** but there's nothing I can do about it regardless of how much I want to change the outcome.

It's just a series of unfortunate events that led to me getting shit on, it happens. Just have to try and make the best of it now.

mp_tx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that sucks. Theft Recovery black mark never leaves the vehicle history, and really affects resale.

To follow up on my theft recovery, I got paid quickly and then truck was recovered. Insurance totaled it out and I bought it back for pennies on the dollar. Dropped $500 in new door lock, ignition, and trans refresh, and i still daily it and use it as my tow pig (2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel).