Braking Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Misfit_1122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone that has replaced their brakes please chime in.

I'm @92k miles and it's time to replace the rotors and pads. I've never thought the brakes were super great to begin with.

My budget is around 1k for parts. I'll do the work myself to put them on.

I do spirited driving both on a off road but it's mostly tank trails and grass/mud paths

Would love to hear about anyone/everyone's choices for their brake setup.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you are keeping the stock parts, which with a $1k budget you are, you aren't going to get much better than stock really. I'd do new rotors, a better pad than OEM, IMO new lines are not necessary but if yours are worn, maybe some SS lines and some nice new Motul brake fluid.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always had good luck and service from rotorpros. Had 2 sets of crossdrilled and slotted on 2 different trucks.

OP
OP
Misfit_1122

Misfit_1122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ended up going with the powerstop z36 kit, ran me about $615 from STG3 and was at my door the next day..... crazy fast shipping.

So far so good, drastically different in a good way...

Side note if you ever get clunking from your front end and can't find the source of the sound on the lift check your brake pad retaining clips.....

I off road (my version of off roading) 2 to 3 times a month mostly face paced dirt/gravel roads, water crossings, and grassy fields. I must have kocked the front clips off both driver and passenger side outer brake pads. It has been clunking for almost a year and I could never find the source. Well last oil change they told me I needed new rotors and pads and at 92k miles I was like yeah it's about time.....

Did the brake job today and noticed the retaining clips missing. New brakes and retaining clips installed and whalaaa no more clunk...

Side note this did create very uneavem wear on my outer pads which is probably why they told me I needed to replace them asap.

Check those clips.........20220614_225402.jpg20220614_143241.jpg

Last edited:

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You say you don’t like the stock brakes, but say that you were able to get 92k miles outta them w/ “spirited driving” both on & off road…what’s not to like lol!?!?

I have had good luck w/ power stop Z36 truck/tow brake kits on trucks FWIW

OP
OP
Misfit_1122

Misfit_1122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Badgertits looking back I think these clips fell out pretty early on into ownership so I think the pads not working like they are supposed to led to shit pedal feel and an overall bad impression