Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only issue that I've found in regard to the brakes is that it's easy to underestimate how fast you're going due to the quietness and smoothness of the ride. As such, when approaching a turn, it's easy to not realize until you get close, "Oh, shit, I'm going faster than I thought I was" and having to get into the brakes harder than you intended.

At that point, you begin wishing that there was more bite to the brakes, but if you're actually paying attention and using the brakes at the appropriate time, it's a non-issue (for me, anyhow).

Of course, my perspective may be a bit skewed, as I spent the last 2-ish years driving a '92 Land Cruiser, so any braking capability beyond that thing is just icing on the cake.

team430

Reaction score
I drove a 550hp Gen1 for over 6 years, the new brakes are not nearly as good. I don't understand why this is but it is. I am going to start with rotors and pads I guess.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone make a fixed piston caliper swap that will still fit the 17" wheels?

We offer a BBK kit with 6 piston calipers for the front, 4 piston calipers for the rear, two piece rotors, stainless lines and performance pads. We can offer many different anodized and painted colors for the calipers and rotor hats and can color match those together and can offer all of it for less than $5K and fit inside the stock 17" wheels.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We offer a BBK kit with 6 piston calipers for the front, 4 piston calipers for the rear, two piece rotors, stainless lines and performance pads. We can offer many different anodized and painted colors for the calipers and rotor hats and can color match those together and can offer all of it for less than $5K and fit inside the stock 17" wheels.

Link? Details? Manufacturer? TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are made by R1Concepts. I don't have them listed on my website because there are too many custom variables to be considered when ordering. They do not affect the pricing, the full package for front and rear kit is $4185 shipped. The lead time is between 4-6 weeks since they are custom built to order. I have some generic images below as examples. The brake rotor pad mating surface portion of the rotors is made from the same material as their Premier series rotors that are cast from G3500 rated high carbon metallic material that doesn't heat up as quickly as cast iron rotors and cools quicker than cast iron. They are available in drilled, slotted or both. The pads are available in semi metallic and full ceramic materials depending on desired performance level.

Attachments

• BBK1.jpg
    BBK1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 142
  • BBK2.jpg
    BBK2.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 147
  • BBK8.png
    BBK8.png
    94.7 KB · Views: 61
  • BBk6.jpg
    BBk6.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 55
  • BBK4.jpg
    BBK4.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 63
  • BBK3.jpg
    BBK3.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 55
  • BBK9.jpg
    BBK9.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 159

spg993tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bought an R1 package from Freedom, great price, great service, got here quick, installed it yesterday in a few hours. the braking power, overall is substantially better. call it 30% better braking, more positive, more affirmative.

That said, id love to find a way to get rid of that soft pedal feel. in my experience with race cars, when we used to race caymans in world challenge, the initial street-based brake vacuum boost assist woudl have a ratio stamped on it, like 7.1 which was 7.1 t o 1. so that normal folk dirving to working didnt have to exert a lot of force. super hard braking was a rarity for them anyway. they could lightly press the brakes and get a 7.1:1 i guess amplified power.
in a cup car, it was no assist at all. 0:0 ratio. you had a rock hard pedal and had to jump all over it.
then in the caymans, they found that you could buy a 3.15 brake boost and it stiffed up th epedal an dthus brake feel.

is there something like that going on here with the raptor as to why its still a bit mushy, why you have a bit too much pedal travel before you get strong piston actuating?
again, once actuated, its stong.
ive read about bleeding which we did pretty well, infact like 3 tims to ensure it wasnt the issue. maybe driving it a bit, bedding, use it for a week maybe to see if any air is in the lines and then bleed again?
or is it just the vaccum boost/assist? thoughts? ideas?

ReefBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If Ford had a 'track pack' brake option, it would be easily 5k. I suspect that is why they don't offer it, that'd push some of these trucks to like 80k with tax.

I would like the Alcon kit so I can keep factory wheels, all tolled, it would be about 8k installed, so luckily for me, I only need another 8k and I'm good to go.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bought an R1 package from Freedom, great price, great service, got here quick, installed it yesterday in a few hours. the braking power, overall is substantially better. call it 30% better braking, more positive, more affirmative.

That said, id love to find a way to get rid of that soft pedal feel. in my experience with race cars, when we used to race caymans in world challenge, the initial street-based brake vacuum boost assist woudl have a ratio stamped on it, like 7.1 which was 7.1 t o 1. so that normal folk dirving to working didnt have to exert a lot of force. super hard braking was a rarity for them anyway. they could lightly press the brakes and get a 7.1:1 i guess amplified power.
in a cup car, it was no assist at all. 0:0 ratio. you had a rock hard pedal and had to jump all over it.
then in the caymans, they found that you could buy a 3.15 brake boost and it stiffed up th epedal an dthus brake feel.

is there something like that going on here with the raptor as to why its still a bit mushy, why you have a bit too much pedal travel before you get strong piston actuating?
again, once actuated, its stong.
ive read about bleeding which we did pretty well, infact like 3 tims to ensure it wasnt the issue. maybe driving it a bit, bedding, use it for a week maybe to see if any air is in the lines and then bleed again?
or is it just the vaccum boost/assist? thoughts? ideas?

You may be on to something here. In my experience, brake feel significantly improved with more miles. And I don't think it's just me getting used to it, I still have a sports car I drive everyday so I always have a point of reference.Going by how pad and rotor wear seems to improve brake feel, my hypothesis is that with steel lines, different pads, and proper bedding, the stock braking system in itself would be significantly improved.

I can't see the value in going to a big brake kit if you are only getting 30% better braking like it's reported for some BBKs in this thread. Just way too much money and effort for 30%.

spg993tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be on to something here. In my experience, brake feel significantly improved with more miles. And I don't think it's just me getting used to it, I still have a sports car I drive everyday so I always have a point of reference.Going by how pad and rotor wear seems to improve brake feel, my hypothesis is that with steel lines, different pads, and proper bedding, the stock braking system in itself would be significantly improved.

I can't see the value in going to a big brake kit if you are only getting 30% better braking like it's reported for some BBKs in this thread. Just way too much money and effort for 30%.

i just swapped out rotors, pads, lines. not calipers, sorry if i implied that. was like 700 bucks or something like that from freedom and 5 hours of work. i do think its improved and more reasonable, normal, 'about right' less the spongy initial brake feel.
that softness exists even if the car is standing still, not sure that a different caliper set will eliminate that.