Brake system upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock caliper has 2 piston and they are all on one side, no match to BBK in terms of clamping force. I think any BBK will be far more responsive/firm feeling than stock.

Smaller pad size is a surprise to me... What about in other kits designed for 17inch wheel? like Alcon etc...

tcm glx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Wilwood kit on my truck, now have about 4-5K miles on it.

Coming from the traditional rotor and pad upgrade from Freedom Motorsports… here is my seat of the pants feeling.

First off, pedal feel is firmer, less spongy than it was before. Grip feels better, 10% better maybe.. where I have noticed a big difference is in two areas. First is aggressive braking feels significantly better… think panic stops, or hard stops at freeway speeds, feels significantly better. Reminds me of how my Audi’s feel. Second is fade… I feel zero fade after Multiple hard stops with this kit….

Those two items were reason enough IMO for the upgrade. Overall I am happy with it. Got the kit in April of last year, so coming up on a 9 months more or less of usage.

Have pics on my build page.

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Wilwood kit on my truck, now have about 4-5K miles on it.

Coming from the traditional rotor and pad upgrade from Freedom Motorsports… here is my seat of the pants feeling.

First off, pedal feel is firmer, less spongy than it was before. Grip feels better, 10% better maybe.. where I have noticed a big difference is in two areas. First is aggressive braking feels significantly better… think panic stops, or hard stops at freeway speeds, feels significantly better. Reminds me of how my Audi’s feel. Second is fade… I feel zero fade after Multiple hard stops with this kit….

Those two items were reason enough IMO for the upgrade. Overall I am happy with it. Got the kit in April of last year, so coming up on a 9 months more or less of usage.

Have pics on my build page.

I believe wilwood pads are ceramic. Ceramic has less "bite" feeling in nature than metalliic/semi-metallic pads. My previous setup was R1 concept disc, semi metallic pads.

But overall I agree with you, well worth the money :D Keep in mind that this is the kit for 17inch wheels. If you are willing to go bigger say 20inch wheels, that's another story.

Oh btw, did you remove dust shield? To me, it doesn't look like a must as instructed in installation manual.

tcm glx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did remove the dust shield.

I spoke at length to a Wilwood engineer at King of the Hammers about my kit. He did state there are other pads that are “gripper” available for the kit but will provide more dust, shorter lifespan etc etc. All the things you get you would expect. I was good with this setup but I’m glad there are alternative pad options as well.

Guy was super cool. Gave me a hat and Tshirt for running the product.

CVP33

Reaction score
I did remove the dust shield.

I spoke at length to a Wilwood engineer at King of the Hammers about my kit. He did state there are other pads that are “gripper” available for the kit but will provide more dust, shorter lifespan etc etc. All the things you get you would expect. I was good with this setup but I’m glad there are alternative pad options as well.

Guy was super cool. Gave me a hat and Tshirt for running the product.
Grippy pads = higher friction = less pad and rotor life and shorter stopping distances.