Brake solenoid malfunction prevents gear selector from shifting out of park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TVio

Reaction score
I have a ‘21 Gen 3 and have had a dozen instances, at the most inopertune times,of not being able to shift out of park and into gear. Local ford dealers have never heard of the problem, yet when searching the issue on Google, is all over the internet .
I can’t find a workaround without dismantling the entire center console. i have found that leaving the vehicle for a period of time allowing the electronics to completely shut down, then returning to the vehicle, unlocking it, depressing the brake pedal and carefully shifting from P into D most times resolves the problem .
Fixes suggested on Google involve rocking the truck back and forth while stuck in park don’t seam to work. Others suggest to replace the brake solenoid interlock…if you can get the part.
Thoughts???

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a TSB (21-2141) for 2021 F-150 with this exact concern. The TSB involves updating the gearshift module software and replacing the module if necessary.

I’d recommend scheduling an appointment with them and document the concern. I would not bring up the TSB, as they cannot write it up like that. They should then run your VIN in the Ford system, see the TSB, and repair it per the instructions.