Brake problems very weird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having issues with my brakes. After sitting for a while when I start the truck and go in reverse I can feel in the pedal some kind of clunking and the brakes will not stop the truck from rolling backwards. It almost feels like the calipers or the piston or the brake pads are sticking or binding. After hitting the pedal hard more than a few times it goes back to normal. This happens about 3 or 4 times a month but not always. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the booster hose and brake booster actuator. Which would make sense if there was no clunking and it was just tough to push the pedal. Any way it’s done it 3 more times since they did the repair and I dropped it off again. Anyone else experience something else like this?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
You might ask them to flush the entire system as a safety precaution. May be a piece of trash floating around that lands in a magic spot every once in a while. Good luck, I bet it gets your attention when it happens.

Ozark427

Reaction score
Mine does this as well, usually after a rain and sitting a day or so. I think it's just the pads sticking to the rotors as they do tend to rust over quickly.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like an issue I had with my '06. Bled everything several times and coukd not get any pedal pressure. Do you have any pedal? It felt like mine would not pump up at all. The local shop I take everything to bled the brakes again and had to bleed and reset the ABS. Maybe worth looking into

OP
OP
N

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have pedal it’s just very hard to press and clunks feels and sounds like metal is jammed crooked. And I guess I should clarify that it sits for about 8 hours when I’m at work and does it and also after sitting overnight. Kinda feels like if there is a rod that goes from the pedal to the master cylinder it kits caddie wonked and then somehow it straitens out. But yes it’s disturbing backing out and having very little or no brakes.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a horrible brake problem, beyond my knowledge. But sitting for that long should not cause a weird issue like that

NikeAirFrce1

Reaction score
Any chance the shop (or you) took a look at the brake line hoses to the calipers? I was having issues with my brakes, and couldn't figure it out for the life of me. They were grinding really bad, and wearing the pads out fast. I replaced the brakes, and rotors thinking they were warped (which they were). Checked the calipers and they were 100% seized. Put the new caliper on and tried to gravity bleed, but nothing for 20 minutes. Figured out the metal clamp around the hose rusted, swelled and blocked the line completely. I broke the clamp and it freed up fluid, but it only worked like a check valve going in not out. I had bad pedal pressure issues and all that from the fluid not going back to the master cylinder.

OP
OP
N

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it back from the dealer all good so far. First time it went to the dealer they replaced the hose for the brake booster and some actuator. It didn’t make sense because even if the booster wasn’t working it still didn’t explain the metal binding feel in the pedal. The second trip to the dealer they replaced the whole brake booster. Maybe the rod from the pedal to the master cylinder was getting bound up somehow. Any how it’s been a week or so and all is well but the problem was intermittent so only more time will tell.

NikeAirFrce1

Reaction score
That is one really weird brake issue! I hope that what they did worked and your all done with the mess. I had the horrible luck of having both brake hoses go out at almost the exact same time, but seemed somewhat easier to diagnose. I hated the intermittent brake loss, but guess our Raptors just do what they want haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free