Brake problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NikeAirFrce1

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been having an issue with my front right brake, and would love some help.

Issue: A few months ago I started to have the truck pull to one side when braking. It eventually turned into a grinding noise when I was braking, but also would grind a little when just cruising at lower speeds. Almost like an intermittent metal rubbing. Chocked that up to warped rotors. Bought a new rotor (and brake pads), and changed them like usual. However, When I went to compress the pistons of the caliper they were seized like there is no tomorrow. Got new calipers to install as well. When I put the caliper on I tried to gravity bleed and NOTHING came out. Figured out the metal clamp around the brake hose destroyed the line from swelling. So like the other stuff I replaced that too...

Now, I have the same issue with grinding while stopping, and still has the intermittent sound of metal rubbing while just cruising straight ahead. The pedal feels decent, but I can feel some vibration when stopping. The truck isnt pulling as bad to one side when hitting quickly either. It almost feels like the caliper is still sticking. So, what should I be looking for at this point? I figured it could possibly be #1 a bad (new) caliper #2 Master cylinder issues, but I have no leaks or other brake problems #3 Possibly a bad wheel bearing, but its not grinding when accelerating or turning. I know the pads arent backwards, or any of that stuff. Thanks in advance for the help!

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Initially Sounds like a sticking caliper. Could also be something wrong with the proportioning valve

I had a caliper seize up once in my '06 and replaced both fronts and could not get a pedal no matter how much I bked them. I took it to a shop and they had never seen this issue. Ended up having to bleed the system entirely and he called it an abs bleed.

OP
OP
N

NikeAirFrce1

Reaction score
If you have a infrared thermometer you can take temp readings of the left and right, if one of the Calipers is seizing it will be a lot hotter on that side.
The front right caliper is guaranteed much hotter. What I cant figure out is what is causing it. I thought replacing the hose would have helped, but didn't seem to. Maybe I got a lemon as far as calipers go.

I am sure im over thinking it. Up through the hose replacement things were straight forward, but now it feels like im chasing my own tail haha

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The front right caliper is guaranteed much hotter. What I cant figure out is what is causing it. I thought replacing the hose would have helped, but didn't seem to. Maybe I got a lemon as far as calipers go.

I am sure im over thinking it. Up through the hose replacement things were straight forward, but now it feels like im chasing my own tail haha
If you bleed the fronts, you should have the same pressure of fluid coming out, if it seems the same, its a good guess the caliper is bad, but not guaranteed. Best to check with a thermometer in the exact same spot on each rotor so you know for sure, guessing is just guessing. I'm sure there are better methods of testing this, too.
edit: you greased the sliders or replaced them , right?

OP
OP
N

NikeAirFrce1

Reaction score
If you bleed the fronts, you should have the same pressure of fluid coming out, if it seems the same, its a good guess the caliper is bad, but not guaranteed. Best to check with a thermometer in the exact same spot on each rotor so you know for sure, guessing is just guessing. I'm sure there are better methods of testing this, too.
edit: you greased the sliders or replaced them , right?
Everything is greased and all that. The pads, rotor, caliper and brake hose are new. I can check with the thermometer tomorrow as well. I will bleed both sides again while im at it. The front right rotor has the rainbow color on it from excessive heat even after an extremely short test drive, which is why I was saying im certain on the heat difference. Im still going to measure tomorrow though after you recommended.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everything is greased and all that. The pads, rotor, caliper and brake hose are new. I can check with the thermometer tomorrow as well. I will bleed both sides again while im at it. The front right rotor has the rainbow color on it from excessive heat even after an extremely short test drive, which is why I was saying im certain on the heat difference. Im still going to measure tomorrow though after you recommended.
Its probably the caliper, I had all the brakes done on my raptor a few years back at the dealer, I could smell my brakes right away, but thought, awweee it will just burn off whatever smells in a few miles. Got home and measured the rotors, the right rear was red hot compared to the rest. Back to the dealer, faulty rear caliper. S H I T happens as these are all rebuilt parts too, when it comes to calipers. I have all S/S lines on mine, did that 10 years ago, never had a hose problem. Knock on wood. Good luck bro.

Vader

Reaction score
How many miles are on your truck?
You should not be hearing grinding if your pads are in good shape. Even with a sticking caliper. That would cause pulling, heat and the pads would wear out quickly, but not grinding. (Until the pad swore out again.)
Have you checked the front wheel bearings for play?
Does the grinding get worse when you step on the brakes?
Have you checked your rear brakes?