Brake problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

NikeAirFrce1

Reaction score
For whoever is interested...here is a video. Just turn up the volume. You can hear when its steady im pressing the brake, but otherwise just cruising.

OP
OP
N

NikeAirFrce1

Reaction score
How many miles are on your truck?
You should not be hearing grinding if your pads are in good shape. Even with a sticking caliper. That would cause pulling, heat and the pads would wear out quickly, but not grinding. (Until the pad swore out again.)
Have you checked the front wheel bearings for play?
Does the grinding get worse when you step on the brakes?
Have you checked your rear brakes?
It has 125k give or take. I had this issue a little over a year ago when I was driving out to Kansas. Pulled hard when stopping and was grinding the same way. NOTE: It was pulling hard the last few months this time too. I took it to Ford and they said everything looked good, but needed new pads. It did work for a year. So same issue popped up and I knew it wasnt the pads alone. Thought rotors were warped (which they were), but like stated above my calipers were off the charts seized. Turns out the brake line was being squeezed by the metal line guide/bracket (not sure what its called). Zero fluid came out till I broke free, but I still replaced it.

I checked for play in the bearings but nothing seemed apparent. So thought maybe the new caliper was sticking some making the pads grind on the rotor. Video above is the current sound. I didn't want to assume its something so simple, which is why I wanted to leverage all of you guys.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn, sure sounds like the pads are worn , in the video. Can you not stick your head in there and look to see? Pics of both sides of the rotors? Take the tire off and check it out, dahm it!

OP
OP
N

NikeAirFrce1

Reaction score
Damn, sure sounds like the pads are worn , in the video. Can you not stick your head in there and look to see? Pics of both sides of the rotors? Take the tire off and check it out, dahm it!
I can do that tomorrow. I will have the tire off again and can add pics. They are brand spanking new ceramic brakes. They fit in well, greased and all that fun stuff. Don't let anyone ever tell us Raptor owners that they don't make life interesting lol

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can do that tomorrow. I will have the tire off again and can add pics. They are brand spanking new ceramic brakes. They fit in well, greased and all that fun stuff. Don't let anyone ever tell us Raptor owners that they don't make life interesting lol
Something else is rubbing on there? Backing plate bent or something. The suspense is killing me!

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NikeAirFrce1

Reaction score
Something else is rubbing on Heather’s? Backing plate bent or something. The suspense is killing me!
Haha I got mad the other day and bent the plate back fairly far to eliminate that. This will probably end up being something incredibly stupid. Ill have to sell my truck in shame

Vader

Reaction score
Nike, Sounds like pads are gone. As loud as that is inside the cab, you should be able to roll by someone on the curb and determine which wheel it is coming from.
Here is a picture of my new/old front pads for reference. I replaced these last month in Moab. Truck has 160k miles on it and this is the second time I have replace the front pads. Replaced Rotors this time as well. The worn out pad was the inside pad on the drivers side. Imposable to see without taking the wheel off and at that point you might as well remove the Caliper too.
All the other pads had about 3/16" left on them so a simple visual inspection would not have helped. This one was strange because it came on suddenly, I think this pad broke apart due to heat. It was 115 deg F during the day. I felt the brake pedal drop and immediately had the same sound you are hearing and could tell it was coming from the left front.
Limped back to the RV campground and ordered the parts. I expect to get ~60K normal driving miles out of these new pads.

Doing the front bearings this weekend because of the slack and miles.

PS - those are my daughters fingernails not mine. She snapped these while watching me work. I started at 9 PM and finished by 10:15PM with some daylight to go, but it was still 102 deg F.

Attachments

• AE6E4879-E1F3-4728-8ABE-897802F4449A.jpeg
    AE6E4879-E1F3-4728-8ABE-897802F4449A.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 56AE84DE-DBB4-43C5-B669-E89B8E4098D4.jpeg
    56AE84DE-DBB4-43C5-B669-E89B8E4098D4.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
N

NikeAirFrce1

Reaction score
Nike, Sounds like pads are gone. As loud as that is inside the cab, you should be able to roll by someone on the curb and determine which wheel it is coming from.
Here is a picture of my new/old front pads for reference. I replaced these last month in Moab. Truck has 160k miles on it and this is the second time I have replace the front pads. Replaced Rotors this time as well. The worn out pad was the inside pad on the drivers side. Imposable to see without taking the wheel off and at that point you might as well remove the Caliper too.
All the other pads had about 3/16" left on them so a simple visual inspection would not have helped. This one was strange because it came on suddenly, I think this pad broke apart due to heat. It was 115 deg F during the day. I felt the brake pedal drop and immediately had the same sound you are hearing and could tell it was coming from the left front.
Limped back to the RV campground and ordered the parts. I expect to get ~60K normal driving miles out of these new pads.

Doing the front bearings this weekend because of the slack and miles.

PS - those are my daughters fingernails not mine. She snapped these while watching me work. I started at 9 PM and finished by 10:15PM with some daylight to go, but it was still 102 deg F.

Wow. You really live in a hot area! I live in NH so we deal with the salt and snow more than anything haha.

I thought exactly the same thing about the brake pads. Thats the sound I expect to hear when they get really bad. However, the pads I removed from the truck weren't worn down bad. Also, the video above is after putting in brand new pads the other day...along with the rotor, caliper and brake hose. It just has me stumped.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Put the problem corner up on a jack and stand. Spin the wheel by hand and listen. Try to isolate the noise. Next pull off the wheel and run your fingers over the rotor from 12-6 oclock, is it smooth or does it have ridges? Finger the back side and compare. Pull the pads off, rotate the spindle by hand, does it still have the same noise?