Brake Parts Advice/Opinions Appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2ndFord

Reaction score
I need to replace brakes at all 4 corners on my 2018 with 51K miles. I'm not looking for a performance upgrade. What are my best options for new rotors and pads to simply replace worn out originals? Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular brand or manufacturer, and what I should be looking at spending? I'm no ASE-certified mechanic but feel pretty confident I could do rotor and pad replacement myself rather than overpaying at the dealership. Recommendations truly appreciated.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you already have 51k on a Gen 3? That’s impressive. Well it didn’t take me long to realize my mistake that you stated 2018 in a Gen 3 section so I got confused, disregard.

OP
OP
2ndFord

2ndFord

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone is still following this or will care that I'm following up on my own mishaps but I'll add here anyway....

First off, I brain-farted when I said "2018 with 51K miles" ... I was thinking about the fact that I'm 1K away from an oil change, so I'm actually at 54 not 51K. Math is not my best subject.

Secondly, I guess I'm also RockAuto challenged. I attempted to follow FordTechOne's advice re: Motorcraft from RockAuto, thought I did so correctly, but Powerstop is what arrived. My mistake but certainly seem fine. And simply for vanity purposes I'm wishing I got drilled & slotted since I'm already doing all of this. But I trailer perhaps twice/year, and likewise just a couple times a year I pick up a yard of mulch or a load of gravel. Hardly qualifies me into the heavy brake category.

Next I ran into the well-documented lug nut issues. 21mm 6pt socket would not fully slip on, so I tapped the socket on with a soft-faced hammer and removed the first lug nut. Lug nut would not come out of the socket so I tried to tap it out using a stubby 3/8" extension and crushed the SS cover. Turning into a lack of fun project quickly. Read on this forum all about the McGuards and Gorilla lug nuts. Saw that the tapers may not be correct for my factory wheels? Also read that as long as a correct 21mm 6pt socket is used without an impact, factory lug nuts should be fine. So I went ahead and removed all lug nuts with a 22mm with the understanding that I was replacing all of them, went to the dealership and instead of picking up 24 lug nuts I had to order for pickup the next day. That's delay#1.

Unabated, I came home and proceeded to tear apart the fronts. Caliper sliders really pitted and rusty on front right, rubber boots past their prime. So I wire-wheeled the pins on my bench grinder to get ready to reassemble, but realized the pitting was kinda extensive so decided to pick up new pins and boots the next day when I picked up the ordered lug nuts.

Surprise, surprise, pins and boots not in stock and had to be ordered for pickup the next day. So came back home and decided to tear apart the left front while waiting. One slider pin completely rust-seized. Cut the boot off since I had new ones coming, applied 3-in-1 penetrating oil to the pin/caliper slider bore and tapped with a hammer repeat repeat repeat for hours until finally able to spin the pin a 32th of a turn. Kept working until I could give it a full revolution a few times, but finally had to support the top of the pin in an open vise and beat the bracket downward to remove the pin. Amazingly I was able to clean the pin bore well with 400 grit emory paper wrapped around a dowel (actually I just lied, I used a chopstick from Japanese takeout). Finished the front reassembly the following day when the parts came in.

Had an away-from-home commitment yesterday, plus we have had 3 straight days of rain and I'm working outside so nothing further has been completed. Begin again tomorrow, hoping the findings on the rear don't present the troubles seen on the front. I'm astonished that what should have been an afternoon activity, between wear and rust and waiting for parts, is about to enter the 2nd week on this "simple maintenance" project!!!

(((NOTE: We have been in a bad draught here in the NE so I'm not complaining about 3 days of rain, which we are receiving as an after-effect of Hurricane Ian which devastated the Florida Gulf Coast. My sympathies, condolences, and heartfelt best wishes to all of those affected. A year after the rains of Hurricane Ida caused fatal flooding and horrible destruction in my local area, there are still families around here rebuilding their homes and properties. Best wishes for their safety and recovery.)))

P.S. - I've learned that Ford Service brake inspection must = "looking for obvious leaks but NOTHING MORE, DO NOT FULLY INSPECT AND/OR LOOK FOR ACTUAL WARNING SIGNS OF POTENTIAL TROUBLE". Geezus, just please slide the rubber covers back on the pins and check for adequate lube! Spread a finger of break grease on the pins for chrissakes, how hard would that be to include in standard inspection and service? I know I'LL be doing that regularly from now on.