Brake issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that OEM pads and aftermarket pads had been redesigned so that the back side of the pad didn’t matter which side of the caliper it rested on. I remember getting OEM pads a few years ago and the pads all looked the exact same
Maybe they revised them as some point then. It was a common issue a few years back when people would install the pads in the wrong location.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nearly every vehicle I have owned has needed the slide pins cleaned, freed up, and lubed.
I kind of took it for granted that those were good, but if not...
Would be first to check.
Sure seems like that would / could be something manufacturers coated, protected, or did something better with.

OP
OP
Kikit2

Kikit2

Reaction score
I have had a couple flex hoses delaminate.
Caused calipers to not release.
Could imagine the hoses moved, twisted, contorted a little different than what they had been used to.
Maybe the extra bending while taking calipers off and putting on let them separate inside.
You don't see any external leaks, but outside layers hold pressure and squeeze the inner trapping pressure.
Something else to check.
Yeah I don't have any leaks.

OP
OP
Kikit2

Kikit2

Reaction score
You’re just gonna have to triple and quadruple check EVERYTHING near and round the calipers and rotors . Im with “NEX” and still think the e-brake components inside the drum may be at fault and need serviced. And yeah either the IWE’s and or the check valve for them causing the chatter.
Yeah we double checked the parking brake but that wouldn't make sense as to why it's doing the same thing in the front.

OP
OP
Kikit2

Kikit2

Reaction score
What did the first set of pads and rotors look like? How about the guide pins? Does the noise change when you engage 4wd?
They weren't terribly worn out but getting there. The guide pins were good. Havent tried it in 4wd but have tried locking the rear and it didnt make a difference.

OP
OP
Kikit2

Kikit2

Reaction score
Well I thought I was making some progress I swapped out the IWE check valve and hoses. Then I noticed that a couple of vacuum lines were broken in the front drivers side fender well (see pictures). Thankfully I had the right size hose and I was able to repair those lines. I checked the passenger side and it looks fine. So I took it out for a drive and didn't hear any sound for a good mile or so. Then I went to slow down to turn and it started grinding again and progressively got worse the rest of the way home. It's like it had to warm up first before it would start grinding, if that makes any sense at all.

Attachments

• 20221021_181007.jpg
    20221021_181007.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221021_181031.jpg
    20221021_181031.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 6