Boys, we've been fleeced...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Yeah, not looking to win any car audio competitions. I still am convinced the highs and mids are decent in the system. The bass lacking is making the whole system sound worse than it may be. Still going to try a simple sub swap once I find something. Easy test would be to do a whole add an amp and subwoofer routine but I want to see if my theory is right and just replacing that sub speaker with something decent will be a welcome and easy fix.

I may be wrong, but I believe when I upgraded speakers in my Gen2 the consensus was that the front door speakers make all or most the bass.

MDRAPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not an audio person but I looked into the sub awhile back. Apparently it’s an externally coupled subwoofer. Meaning it uses the cab of the truck for the sound or something.
Found this…

It turns out that the Externally Coupled Subwoofer is essentially an infinite baffle configuration, whereby the woofer, which measures 13.2 inches by 7.5 inches, has no cabinet at all; it simply vents back through a port in the rear wall of the cab and out into the world. The closest comparison is the example above of a speaker in a car’s rear deck, but in that case (also commonly referred to as infinite baffle), the woofer’s back wave is contained and theoretically tuned by the trunk. With the ECS, it simply escapes, possibly irritating your neighbors.

so what if we block the waves from escaping?

OP
OP
figure1a

figure1a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this…

It turns out that the Externally Coupled Subwoofer is essentially an infinite baffle configuration, whereby the woofer, which measures 13.2 inches by 7.5 inches, has no cabinet at all; it simply vents back through a port in the rear wall of the cab and out into the world. The closest comparison is the example above of a speaker in a car’s rear deck, but in that case (also commonly referred to as infinite baffle), the woofer’s back wave is contained and theoretically tuned by the trunk. With the ECS, it simply escapes, possibly irritating your neighbors.

so what if we block the waves from escaping?
You probably don't want to do that. It looks like they have designed the subwoofer box like a ported enclosure. In their instance, the port goes out the back of the truck. Ports usually help a woofer move more air with less power (non-ported boxes need more power) but can make the sound "boomy" so maybe they ported out the back to decrease some of the boomyness. But if you look at the picture of the subwoofer, it really hardly qualifies as a subwoofer. It's design and components really aren't much more than a regular 6x9 woofer.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, not looking to win any car audio competitions. I still am convinced the highs and mids are decent in the system. The bass lacking is making the whole system sound worse than it may be. Still going to try a simple sub swap once I find something. Easy test would be to do a whole add an amp and subwoofer routine but I want to see if my theory is right and just replacing that sub speaker with something decent will be a welcome and easy fix.
it won't work as u turn up the volume the bass stays the same ,the bass maxes out at volume level 13 ,its not the woofer its the b and o amp that's the problem, only way to fix ,5 channel amp at least ,zen nav tv, im running 5 speakers ,2 tweets ,2 mid bass ,and a woofers ,active ,dsp, 1650 watts ,it would blows the doors of any b and o in bass and clarity .

slater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen the pkg from soundsgoodstereo, might solve your bass complaints without breaking the bank. Probably the direction I am gonna go.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone seen the pkg from soundsgoodstereo, might solve your bass complaints without breaking the bank. Probably the direction I am gonna go.

If you’re looking for behind the seat I think it is the best option available. They’ve done a good bit of testing on it and are a fantastic company. If you don’t mind losing underseat storage then I wound never go this route. It’ll never do what an underseat enclosure can do. We all have our own priorities.

Lanthas

Reaction score
I'm not an audio engineer, nor a major audiophile. I did buy the SoundsGoodStereo "Stealth Plus" Kit (The $2200 one) and finished installing it rather recently. The way these trucks come as stock for $80-90k is ridiculously awful. Speaker Count is not something they should have focused on and rather delivered us a better stand alone setup.
With the behind the seat enclosure everything was essentially plug and play after figuring out how to remove the seats and properly trimming the back piece of wall carpet you see on the product description page. The bass increase is substantial, the sound is so much better, and I feel like I can hear more of the range of the bass and not just the trash that the stock enclosure could do.

I'm considering doing a writeup for the install since SGS doesn't have any install vids yet for the 2021+ Raptors and I wanted to take more of the sound deadening mat that I have and place it back there too.

Overall I really like the product they sold even though I had to wait several months for it to arrive. The package came and looked amazingly packed, not damaged, and it came pre-tuned so that was a major plus for me too as I have never done anything related to car audio before. I still need to install the sound blocks and more deadening mat in the 4 side doors along with those plates, but thats a problem for me on a weekend I'm not busy on lol