Boys, we've been fleeced...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

figure1a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the past 10 years or so, I have always bought the premium sound system in my cars because for the most part they sound pretty good. But the B&O in our Raptors really is lacking pretty hard and, today, I found out why. My goal was to open up the sub and get some measurements and, hopefully, find a replacement. But when I opened this thing up, I was horrified. The sub is nothing but a paper woofer that I am pretty sure they took out of my 1981 Chrysler LeBaron fake wood-panel station wagon (yup, I rolled in that in high school). The magnet and voice coil are so small they might as well not even have put them on. The wires going into the enclosure are, maybe, 20 gauge, at best (think like the wires inside your phone USB charging cable—yeah, that dinky).

I don't want to put a whole system in my truck like the good old days. I am over that. I want something with no maintenance but sounds pretty good. That's why I got the B&O system. My suspicion is that the highs and mids in the B&O system are actually pretty decent. But you need the contrast of solid base to hear/appreciate the highs and mids. Replacing this sub with minimal effort is not going to happen because 1) the size is weird at 6x12 and 2) the impedance of the speaker is 8ohm.

I scoured the web looking for something that I can put in there. I was hoping there was a 6" sub (I can fabricate a new face plate to make it fit) out there with the 8ohms but I am pretty that does not exist. I have found a few 6.5" subs with dual 4ohm voice coils that I could rewire/adapt into 8ohm but they were no name crap on Amazon so I don't know if it will solve my problem. Anyone successfully replace their B&O sub while still using the stock amp, etc.?

IMG_2077.JPG

The weirdest thing about this enclosure is that when I opened it up it was full of the finest silt dirt you ever saw. The back of the enclosure is kind of ported with a super fine membrane that I think goes out the wall of the rear of the cab and I think that is how the dust gets in.
IMG_2073.JPG

I don't think this thing even weighs one pound. The cone is the cheapest paper you ever saw. My wife said no one is dropping their ******* for that.
IMG_2074.JPG

These are the wires that "power" the sub. I mean, if a mouse farts next to them, they will probably crumble.
IMG_2078.JPG

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Yea, the sound system is trash. I am interested in an outcome as well. Wouldn't mind replacing the factory speakers with quality ones, but don't want/need to run more amps. Ones that will run off the factory power would be great.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
WOW! Thats very different than the B&O in my '20. I had a real enclosure. That flap looks like the vent that lets your doors close easier. If you touch it lightly it will open towards the back of the truck. That's why there is silt there! Why would they build that into a sub?

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the Gen 3 is like the Gen 2, the amp doesn't let the bass volume get too high in order to keep the sub from blowing. You don't hear more bass at high volumes. In other words, if you want more bass, you likely will need a new amp as well.

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the past 10 years or so, I have always bought the premium sound system in my cars because for the most part they sound pretty good. But the B&O in our Raptors really is lacking pretty hard and, today, I found out why. My goal was to open up the sub and get some measurements and, hopefully, find a replacement. But when I opened this thing up, I was horrified. The sub is nothing but a paper woofer that I am pretty sure they took out of my 1981 Chrysler LeBaron fake wood-panel station wagon (yup, I rolled in that in high school). The magnet and voice coil are so small they might as well not even have put them on. The wires going into the enclosure are, maybe, 20 gauge, at best (think like the wires inside your phone USB charging cable—yeah, that dinky).

I don't want to put a whole system in my truck like the good old days. I am over that. I want something with no maintenance but sounds pretty good. That's why I got the B&O system. My suspicion is that the highs and mids in the B&O system are actually pretty decent. But you need the contrast of solid base to hear/appreciate the highs and mids. Replacing this sub with minimal effort is not going to happen because 1) the size is weird at 6x12 and 2) the impedance of the speaker is 8ohm.

I scoured the web looking for something that I can put in there. I was hoping there was a 6" sub (I can fabricate a new face plate to make it fit) out there with the 8ohms but I am pretty that does not exist. I have found a few 6.5" subs with dual 4ohm voice coils that I could rewire/adapt into 8ohm but they were no name crap on Amazon so I don't know if it will solve my problem. Anyone successfully replace their B&O sub while still using the stock amp, etc.?

View attachment 379542

The weirdest thing about this enclosure is that when I opened it up it was full of the finest silt dirt you ever saw. The back of the enclosure is kind of ported with a super fine membrane that I think goes out the wall of the rear of the cab and I think that is how the dust gets in.
View attachment 379543

I don't think this thing even weighs one pound. The cone is the cheapest paper you ever saw. My wife said no one is dropping their ******* for that.
View attachment 379544

These are the wires that "power" the sub. I mean, if a mouse farts next to them, they will probably crumble.
View attachment 379545
Ford quality job 1. Is there anything of quality on a Ford truck besides the Fox shocks and tires?

Cheap paint, crooked doors, vinyl and plastic interior. You don't get much for 90k these days.

Truck not worth 45k.

Last edited:
OP
OP
figure1a

figure1a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW! Thats very different than the B&O in my '20. I had a real enclosure. That flap looks like the vent that lets your doors close easier. If you touch it lightly it will open towards the back of the truck. That's why there is silt there! Why would they build that into a sub?
That vent is basically a crappy port job. Ported enclosures usually sound more boomy. Most likely it sounded even worse than it is so they made the fake little port just to get a little more out of it.

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the Gen 3 is like the Gen 2, the amp doesn't let the bass volume get too high in order to keep the sub from blowing. You don't hear more bass at high volumes. In other words, if you want more bass, you likely will need a new amp as well.
This...adding a different sub to the mix on the factory amp isnt going to do a whole lot.

OP
OP
figure1a

figure1a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This...adding a different sub to the mix on the factory amp isnt going to do a whole lot.
Don't know about that. Obviously, my preferred route is new speaker and everything sounds great. But after pulling it apart, it may be that it would have to be a new enclosure, speaker and then an extra amp just for the sub. I think, based on the wire size and the fact that they are using 8ohm speakers, that whatever is powering the sub is also very weak.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score

View attachment 379542

View attachment 379543

View attachment 379544

View attachment 379545

I am guessing you didn't have a gen 2 before this one? lol. That B&O was 10 times worse sounding. IMO.