Bought a tuned truck from a dealer???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also, the way they may be able to tell is the start/stop cycle counter in the ECU. When you flash a new tune, that number may get reset. If you have 30K miles on your truck and they find that there are only 10 start/stop cycles in the counter, they will know that some process reset the ECU. In general, they are not going to look at it unless they are trying to weasel out of a warranty claim. Even if they found the vehicle had been tuned, they would still have to prove that the tune caused the damage before they could deny the claim (at least in the USA per the Magnuson Moss Warranty act).
Magnuson Moss only covers OE equivalent parts, not modifications. So for example if you use Mobil 1 oil instead of Motorcraft, they cannot void your warranty unless they can prove that the oil caused the failure.

Warranty does not cover failures related to modifications. So if a failure occurs that is attributable to a tune, it is not covered. The manufacturer doesn’t need to prove that the tune caused the failure, only that the calibration was modified.

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
Magnuson Moss only covers OE equivalent parts, not modifications. So for example if you use Mobil 1 oil instead of Motorcraft, they cannot void your warranty unless they can prove that the oil caused the failure.

Warranty does not cover failures related to modifications. So if a failure occurs that is attributable to a tune, it is not covered. The manufacturer doesn’t need to prove that the tune caused the failure, only that the calibration was modified.
Are you still a tech for ford?

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
Also, the way they may be able to tell is the start/stop cycle counter in the ECU. When you flash a new tune, that number may get reset. If you have 30K miles on your truck and they find that there are only 10 start/stop cycles in the counter, they will know that some process reset the ECU. In general, they are not going to look at it unless they are trying to weasel out of a warranty claim. Even if they found the vehicle had been tuned, they would still have to prove that the tune caused the damage before they could deny the claim (at least in the USA per the Magnuson Moss Warranty act).
Yeah that brings me to my next question, if I were to ever have powertrain issues, would you guys suggest I leave the tune as is or remove it before going into the dealer?

Obviously I wouldnt want to take the liability for altering with it while it was supposed to be under warranty but at the same time I'd like to avoid going through all that trouble of fighting that claim with both ford, extended warranty and the dodge dealer.

Flatfuse

Reaction score
Be happy with what you got. Quite frankly, an untuned Gen2 raptor sucks. The transmission has problems skipping and slamming gears. It feels like you are destroying the truck. Had to bring mine in twice to reset the “learning” on the transmission. Throttle response (delay) , is a problem on a stock truck. A professional tune will make a big difference in shifting, throttle response and power. The last 40k on my tuned 17 has been great. The first 30, not so much. I should have goose tuned at 500 mi. The mild cobb tune you have is not likely going to affect driveline reliability. Look through the forums to see who is actually had a driveline failure.

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my stock 19 has no delay in throttle response and transmission is not skipping.
What are u taking about?

Flatfuse

Reaction score
JeanCo, The 10R80 transmission is programmed to skip gears, ie- 1st to third, second to fifth or even when down shifting it will hesitate for a second or two searching for the right gear before it takes off. It’s fords way to improve fuel economy, but results in delays in throttle response among other problems. Look through the forums, or read some of the truck reviews on the gen2. These are common complaints regarding the “normal” function of this transmission. If it doesn’t bother you or you don’t notice, that’s great. Just don’t drive a tuned raptor. A good TCM tune will eliminate this problem and completely changes how the truck drives. Add a ECU tune and the raptor goes from feeling heavy and sedate to feeling light and quick.

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a sport mod,u never try it?

and :

While working on a 2017-2018 Ford F150/Raptor, 2018 Expedition, Mustang, and Lincoln Navigator equipped with a 10R80 transmission, you may experience erratic TCC operation, or a TCC shudder concern. Codes P0741 or P1744 may or may not set in the PCM or TCM (depending on application).

Ford’s 10-speed automatic transmission has been on the market for a few years, and customer complaints have been pouring in since day one. So, has Ford finally corrected the 10-speed transmission? They’re working on it, in a nutshell.

According to the Motor City Mustang manufacturer, most customer complaints are due to the adaptive learning software in the 10-speed transmission. In layman’s terms, Ford refers to a process in which the transmission “learns” your driving behaviors to increase fuel economy and ride comfort. A difficulty arises if the system is reset for whatever reason, and you must learn your habits repeatedly, resulting in jerky shifting for a brief period of time.

Ford-10-speed-transmission-problems-solved-675x408.jpg

Ford’s first attempt to address the 10R80 issue was in 2018 when they issued a technical service bulletin. A TSB is a manufacturer’s internal letter provided to dealerships as the official method for problems not yet addressed in the handbook.

According to this service bulletin, customers who are having trouble with their Ford 10 speed transmission should reprogram the control module. Although the update appears to have resolved many consumer problems, some remain unsatisfied.

Ford has also supplied some other adjustments for the 10 speed, including an improved shift cable clip and, in some cases, the replacement of the first gearbox. The good news is that it appears that Ford is now paying attention to the problems and is actively working to resolve them.

Last edited:

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
I have an aFe Power CAI and I think a Magnaflow exhaust, a bunch of other mods (mostly mechanical, appearance, etc. - bumpers, 37" tires, etc.). Can't find my mod list, don't know if it's in my profile or an old post. About 8-11 different mods.

This is what I found in the truck. Went to their website and don't even see a tune controller that looks like that anymore. Anyone know what any of this means?

20220626_155717.jpg
20220626_160125.jpg
20220626_160108.jpg