Bought a tuned truck from a dealer???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
like the tittle says, I bought a 2019 ford raptor from a Dodge dealer recently and after 4 days of having the truck, I discovered that the truck was tuned on a COBB accessport. I found it in the glove compartment.

I am not concerned about trucks performance as it drives incredible, in fact I don't know what the OEM tune would be like because I've never driven a stock Raptor. When pluggin in the accessport, it looks like it is tuned on 91, I believe it is the one that's readily available on the tuner but I'm not 100%.

i am coming on here to get an opinion from you guys, since the truck only has 30k miles, what do you guys suggest I do? I reached out to the dealer as soon as I found out, but i never got a response.

i guess i can "unmarry" the accessport, but how do i know that the one backed up is the original oem tune retrieved from the truck?

Any feedback / comments would be greatly appreciated...

JAWSRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Def do not reach out to the dealer to tell them that. 100% dont do that. once the cobb accessport is loaded on to the truck, they can find a trace of it if they want to. No point in going back to a stock tune now as they will still know it was once tuned. I would be happy it came with the accessport as it saved you a couple bucks. you would've wanted to tune it regardless. Now you just have to reach out to @GooseTuned and do a proper custom tune for the truck, youre one step ahead.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure when you buy the truck, you sign documents from them stating they have not messed with the emissions etc (at least i did from Ford). Not sure if that applies to tuning however.
It would potentially screw you out of any major warranty repairs to the powertrain potentially so that is an issue i would seek to correct with them.
I know they can view the computer and see if it was messed with, but are they able to see the date modified? If so you could bring that up to them that it was done beforehand.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree that it's a bad idea to try and go back to oem tune. The 'damage' is already done. The question is, what sort of warranty did you get with the vehicle? If the Dodge dealer gave you their own sort of warranty on the sales, then they would need to cover whatever issue might happen with the vehicle. If the truck was sold as is with the original factory covering the vehicle...I wonder if there is an obligation for the Dodge dealer to inform you that that OEM warranty has been partially voided because of modifications? Not sure how that works, or if you have any recourse after the sale is made. I would guess that the Dodge dealer would just legally word it that there is no warranty provided by dealer and they make no commitment on any original factory warranty or extended warranty that existed on the vehicle before they acquired it.

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Def do not reach out to the dealer to tell them that. 100% dont do that. once the cobb accessport is loaded on to the truck, they can find a trace of it if they want to. No point in going back to a stock tune now as they will still know it was once tuned. I would be happy it came with the accessport as it saved you a couple bucks. you would've wanted to tune it regardless. Now you just have to reach out to @GooseTuned and do a proper custom tune for the truck, youre one step ahead.

Yep, the fact that you have an Accessport is a good thing!

I can now help you with a tune and you can enjoy the benefits of a transmission that shifts well and some added power.

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure when you buy the truck, you sign documents from them stating they have not messed with the emissions etc (at least i did from Ford). Not sure if that applies to tuning however.
It would potentially screw you out of any major warranty repairs to the powertrain potentially so that is an issue i would seek to correct with them.
I know they can view the computer and see if it was messed with, but are they able to see the date modified? If so you could bring that up to them that it was done beforehand.
yeah one reason why I dont want to revert the tune back to OEM is for that exact reason, I don't want to take liability if anythng were to ever happen, I just dont know what to do as far as getting the dealer to recognize that this can potentially lead to problems on my end...

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
I agree that it's a bad idea to try and go back to oem tune. The 'damage' is already done. The question is, what sort of warranty did you get with the vehicle? If the Dodge dealer gave you their own sort of warranty on the sales, then they would need to cover whatever issue might happen with the vehicle. If the truck was sold as is with the original factory covering the vehicle...I wonder if there is an obligation for the Dodge dealer to inform you that that OEM warranty has been partially voided because of modifications? Not sure how that works, or if you have any recourse after the sale is made. I would guess that the Dodge dealer would just legally word it that there is no warranty provided by dealer and they make no commitment on any original factory warranty or extended warranty that existed on the vehicle before they acquired it.
I got the reaming of the 5/60k power train warranty, I also bought extended warranty with them...

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because I don't want to have issues with the warranty if anything were to ever give out...

Well if you're going to tell them, tell them now.

"Hey I found this gadget in the truck and it appears to be a tune of some sort. I don't want to be held liable for this if it brings troubles to the vehicle, what can we do?"

Otherwise I'll get my lawyer to call you in the morning.