Bought a Raptor, lots of issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rock Auto or Tascaparts are the best places to buy them, rebuilds I'm not certain who does the best work.
There are threads on rebuilt shocks on the forum.

I did the rears myself, it's pretty easy. The fronts I let a shop that's done lots of Raptor work.
A good shop can do the work in about 3 hrs. +/-
Once you can find a good 4x4 alignment shop they might do the work.

Your truck should ride straight if the tech knows how to tweak it correctly.

Springs, every body has different opinions on the front springs.
But I'm good with the stock front springs.
The stock rear springs are complete garbage, those I highly recommend to replace with better ones.

Last edited:

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had Forged do my rebuilds and they are great. I wouldnt expect much return on your cores though, mine were in decent shape and I got like $150 of my deposit back. The good thing about them is they are going to be really meticulous in ensuring yours are at like new quality when they get back to you. They aren't going to reuse any part that's out of spec, and they do a lot of these shocks so the institutional knowledge is excellent.

I don't buy the truck pulling to the right due to tread pattern, there are a number of members on this forum running those, I think the topic would have come up. They need to properly set up your cross caster and make sure nothing else is worn in your steering system. You would be surprised how many places don't check anything in the steering and try to do an alignment on a vehicle with worn parts.

magaraptor

Reaction score
I traded in a 2014 gen 1 for a 2018 gen2 love both trucks but I think the gen1 rode better. Suspension felt softer on the gen1 to me. Mabey weight had something to do with it not sure.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the gen 1's were tuned with a little more off road bias, and the 2's were set up to be more competent on the street. It makes perfect sense since the truck went to more mainstream production numbers.

If you are on a load range E tire your ride is never going to be cloudlike, going from an E to a D on mine made way more difference than fresh shocks did in the plushness department. Are you on bottom perch?

Maintecheib

Reaction score
I would recommend getting new front shocks from Rock Auto, about $350 each. Go to Auto Zone and rent spring compressor and 4 hours later you have new shocks installed. You can then consider if you want to rebuild the pair you took out.

OP
OP
Brotato Chip

Brotato Chip

Reaction score
Yes my truck is on bottom perch but I will adjust to mid when I get new/rebuild shocks.

In addition to shocks/springs, is there anything else I should fix while I'm at it?

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you are already unhappy with the ride being too firm going to mid perch is just going to make the front more firm.

I get the vibration on left hand banks too, I am not sure if its an issue in the power steering system or the CV shafts not being disengaged from the wheel hubs.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While going to Mid-Perch will be firmer than bottom perch, shocks that have never been rebuilt and still have the original shock oil will ride way worse than fresh shocks on Mid.
Depending on what you are intending to do with your truck, and what budget you have, there are a bunch of options.
1. If you are going to play and have a budget, get some Fox, King or Icon 3.0's and be done.
2. If you can find a off road shop that races, chances are they can rebuild yours. Local guy means you are down shorter time and dont have to "exchange" anything.
3. You can also learn to do it yourself. If you dont want to buy the N2O needles and tanks, you can take your finished shock to the local MX suspension guy to gas em up... thats how I started.

I play off road quite a bit, and I will service (change fluid) once or twice a year on my 3.0's.
Makes a HUGE difference in feel. The fluid will lose its ability to cushion when they get contaminated.