Bought a Raptor, lots of issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brotato Chip

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought a 2011 Raptor with 66k miles back in May and love the truck. It's a monster and I've slowly been adding all kinds of goodies (lights bumpers etc.)

When I bought the truck the rear tires were bald and the fronts cupped. Im concerned the cupping was a sign of shock wear now. The power steering pump also broke my first week with the truck.

Fast forward a few months and I'm noticing the following issues and am not sure what to do:

Ride quality isn't amazing. I rode in a brand new gen 2 raptor which seemed to float down the road but my truck seems nowhere near as refined. It doesnt float down the road and speed bumps don't feel smooth. I'm coming from sports cars though so I have no idea if this is fine for a gen 1.

I get a pulsing vibration when making banking left turns, I'm running the stock tire size and stock wheels. No lift or perch adjustments.

I hear faint chirping noises from the front end while driving

My heated seats now get very hot then shut off

On a cold start I hear a loud grinding noise coming from the engine bay 2-3 seconds after ignition. It sounds like dragging a wrench on a steel plate and lasts maybe half a second.

Am I screwed? I love my raptor but all of these issues that have popped up have me and my wallet worried.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Brotato Chip

Congrats on the Raptor.

My truck is almost ten years old, while I only have 34,800 miles on her I probably have the same amount of hours if not more as you.
Driving in NYC takes it toll with it's pot hole riddled streets.
I have already replaced all four shocks before 25,000 miles and it looks like I need to buy fronts again, KHC says there shot already.
These Fox shocks are nice but not durable, especially if your like me and want the truck to run like new.
This time I can save the old shocks and get them upgraded and rebuilt, my first set were so corroded it wasn't worth it.

Tires, tires are very important to ride quality and tire pressure is key to a smooth ride.
The BFG KO2 Class E is going to give the best ride quality (IMHO) as long as your air pressure is set to 38 in the front and 35 in the rear.
I don't know if you have a Tune and the Tuning Device because without that, your tire light will come on once you start going below 40 psi. which is what Ford sets it at on the Gen 1
And believe me 40 psi. is way too high especially in the back.
With a tune you can adjust when that light pops on.
Tire balance is key to longevity of your shocks and smoother ride.
I have had problems with the new KO2's, two of the 4 tires I had to return to Tirerack because they where so badly out off balance and out of round.
Tirerack stepped up and sent two one ones and picked up the bad tires.

Another reason the Gen 2 rides a little bit softer is because they come with the Class C KO2s,
they have less ply thus they are softer and combo that with the tire pressure being set 38 psi., it's going to feel softer.

Then you have the body and/or cab mounts, these get old too!!!
So does my truck ride the same like it did 10 years ago of course not, unless I rebuild everything to new.

Cupping is due to caster, camber and toe, get a wheel alignment. I get one done every 5K to 6K
And when rotating the tires I always do front to back and back to front,
you will notice the cupped tires fix them selves when you put them on the back.

You need to keep up with lubing the suspension with a quality lube spray and do it often.
The rubber components in the suspension are going to get hard over time, nothing you can do about it but replace.
But lubing does help, you'd be surprised.
Rear springs need lubing, if there are all rusted up and dry they will not produce a smooth ride.
Be it stock or after market springs which I highly recommend (Icons or Deavers), they made a world of difference!!!
If you look at my avatar picture, this is how I power wash the springs, air dry with air compressor then I spray them with wire lube spray.
Wire lube spray prevents dirt build up and rusting and salt corrosion.

I just replaced my front swaybar end links, I couldn't believe how bad they were.
I knew one was in need of replacement because I suddenly had a cluck on the passenger side going over small bumps.

Chasing down noises is a tough but continue to be diligent.

Continue to use this forum, ask questions!, you'll find answers or get answers to help solve your other issues.

Good Luck

Last edited:

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the history of your truck but it seems it may have been neglected a bit. The suspension needs a thorough going over first.

From your post it sounds like you’ve replaced your tires, probably with load range E, which are stiffer. I run 36psi all around on load range E.

Second, if your tires were allowed to be bald and cupping, I doubt the shocks were touched. They need to be rebuilt or replaced. Unfortunately this is one of the few large expenses gen 1 owners have to address.

Keep in mind that a gen 1 won’t ride as well as a gen 2 for a number of reasons. The gen 2 shocks are larger and more refined, and the suspension is more finely tuned. That being said a properly sorted gen 1 suspension rides like a Cadillac on the street IMO.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure about the history of your truck but it seems it may have been neglected a bit. The suspension needs a thorough going over first.

From your post it sounds like you’ve replaced your tires, probably with load range E, which are stiffer. I run 36psi all around on load range E.

Second, if your tires were allowed to be bald and cupping, I doubt the shocks were touched. They need to be rebuilt or replaced. Unfortunately this is one of the few large expenses gen 1 owners have to address.

Keep in mind that a gen 1 won’t ride as well as a gen 2 for a number of reasons. The gen 2 shocks are larger and more refined, and the suspension is more finely tuned. That being said a properly sorted gen 1 suspension rides like a Cadillac on the street IMO.

The only difference in suspension between the Gen1 and the Gen2 is the shocks, that's it.
The rear springs are a little shorter and the upper front shock mount is a mounted a little higher on the Gen2.
I find no other documentation to support other changes but if you have info, I would like to know.
The Gen2 went up to 3.0 from the 2.5 on the Gen1 with one inch more travel.
Now, has Fox done a little tweaking on the newer 3.0 shocks, I would hope so.

Last edited:

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only difference in suspension between the Gen1 and the Gen2 is the shocks, that's it.
The rear springs are a little shorter and the upper front shock mount is a mounted a little higher on the Gen2.
I find no other documentation to support other changes but if you have info, I would like to know.
The Gen2 went up to 3.0 from the 2.5 on the Gen1 with one inch more travel.
Now, has Fox done a little tweaking on the newer 3.0 shocks, I would hope so.

Everything I’ve read suggests going from 2.5” to 3.0” is a huge change in and of itself. And as you point out additional changes (after ironically saying there were no changes) make a difference as well.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As far as seat heaters are concerned you may need a new set of elements. You can get them off Tasca or other ford sites. It isn't a technically difficult job but will require some physical strength. The seats are heavy, and the upholstery itself requires quite a bit of hand strength to manipulate. All you need for tools is a couple of wrenches and some hog ring pliers, doable job!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everything I’ve read suggests going from 2.5” to 3.0” is a huge change in and of itself. And as you point out additional changes (after ironically saying there were no changes) make a difference as well.
The changes are only made to accommodate the one inch extra travel.
Your stating the suspension is more refined but it's only the shocks.
And I don't want this thread turning into a Gen1 Gen2 battle.

Last edited:

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The changes are only made to accommodate the one inch extra travel.
Your stating the suspension is more refined but it's only the shocks.
And I don't want this thread turning into a Gen1 Gen2 battle.

Then don’t start one...I don’t know why you are trying to start a debate over the fact that the gen 2 has larger shocks which are tuned differently, and have an extra inch of travel, which definitely makes a difference in ride quality. Is that really a debatable topic?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was just pointing out your statement "and the suspension is more finely tuned." is debatable.
You made a statement that suggests the suspension has been entirely reworked and is far better in many ways then the Gen1.
Which is Jenny cool-aid crap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brotato Chip

Brotato Chip

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers guys. I'm running a Cooper Disoverer STT Pro on the stock tire size and had an alignment done when installed as well as a caster and camber kit. The shop told me that big mud tires grip the curvature of the road and will always pull right and as such the truck doesn't drive straight. I'm getting a second opinion when I get my wheels installed/tires rotated.

It sounds like shocks are a must do. I'm not in a position to get new shocks, are rebuilt shocks worth it? Being January in Washington I need my truck so the exchange would be my only option, do I really want someone else's unknown history shocks? If so, what's the best place to do them?

For springs, how can I tell if they need replacing? The rear shocks are pitted and based off other visual factors I think the truck was neglected too.

What other components do I need to replace/check and what's the best way to do that?