GEN 2 Borne Off-Road Raptor Snorkel R&D Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
the challenge for me is that is crosses over under the crash bar and at the top of the wheel well.

for those of us running 39s or 40s, that crossover pipe will get crunched at full bump. I love the idea, and im sure that there isnt a better way to do it, but it just wont work for the mid-travel folks out there.

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok interesting design and probably good quality if you need one. However just as some have mentioned I see a problem with 1. Air intake being a longer run and can’t see a great benefit from less dust intake I would just upgrade your air filter for starters and 2. These things are so reliant on electrical components I wouldn’t want to submerge this thing that deep, and I have had other jeeps and trucks that I had snorkels on for crossing wet areas that worked pretty well! Hell my Polaris XP has a snorkel! 3. The biggest thing I see as being a problem is the 75-90 percent of time your on the road with your cool, “huge” snorkel is the blind spot you have now added in your A Pilar good luck with that not becoming a headache! But for those that think they need or just want it good luck

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting concept.

I am curious to see how it sells. 9 of 10 raptors I come across will not see a damn pebble, let alone an off-road scenario or water. Those 1 out of 10 will encounter off-road scenarios like sand and water but not in the capacity where they need a snorkel. Are Raptors being used right now for off-road races and winning?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the challenge for me is that is crosses over under the crash bar and at the top of the wheel well.

for those of us running 39s or 40s, that crossover pipe will get crunched at full bump. I love the idea, and im sure that there isnt a better way to do it, but it just wont work for the mid-travel folks out there.
I was going to ask some follow-up questions about your setup, but I ventured into your build thread and SHEESH, what a rig. Totally understandable that there's some fitment conflicts there. Do most mid-travel and 39+ tire sizes need to ditch the OEM fenders I'm assuming?

Ok interesting design and probably good quality if you need one. However just as some have mentioned I see a problem with 1. Air intake being a longer run and can’t see a great benefit from less dust intake I would just upgrade your air filter for starters and 2. These things are so reliant on electrical components I wouldn’t want to submerge this thing that deep, and I have had other jeeps and trucks that I had snorkels on for crossing wet areas that worked pretty well! Hell my Polaris XP has a snorkel! 3. The biggest thing I see as being a problem is the 75-90 percent of time your on the road with your cool, “huge” snorkel is the blind spot you have now added in your A Pilar good luck with that not becoming a headache! But for those that think they need or just want it good luck

You raise some great points, and we've thought about these too!

Upgrading the air filter is definitely recommended in addition to installing your snorkel, with the snorkel further reducing the amount of dust and debris making its way into your airbox. OUr snorkel head can also be rotated, or replaced with a prefilter which will further mitigate dust from entering the intake.

We know that snorkels aren't the magic key for making your truck impervious to deep water crossings, rather it's a part of the equation. Luckily, Ford purpose-built this truck for the rugged wilderness, but it's still critical to ensure your electrical and other components are prepared for a dip.

I'm also glad that you brought up the blind spot as well, since I never touched on that before. We made sure to shape our design so that it wouldn't be adding to the blind spot at the A-pillar. Here's a quick photo I snapped from the driver's seat just now:

IMG_3419.jpg

Think of the snorkel more as an added layer of protection on top Ford's engineering. Most of us still put cases and screen protectors on our smartphones even though screens are advertised as scratch and shatter-resistant since protection is a much easier course than replacement.

At the end of the day though, it's YOUR truck, so really it's up to you if you decide that it's needed. Obviously, we here at Borne Off-Road and Mishimoto hope that these do end up on your build list, but really we want wants best for your truck.

As always, don't hesitate to reach out with any questions that you might have!

-Nick

PS - Speaking of the RZR XP we may or may not have some performance upgrades coming for that platform (specifically the XP Turbo) as well ;)

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I was going to ask some follow-up questions about your setup, but I ventured into your build thread and SHEESH, what a rig. Totally understandable that there's some fitment conflicts there. Do most mid-travel and 39+ tire sizes need to ditch the OEM fenders I'm assuming?

You raise some great points, and we've thought about these too!

Upgrading the air filter is definitely recommended in addition to installing your snorkel, with the snorkel further reducing the amount of dust and debris making its way into your airbox. OUr snorkel head can also be rotated, or replaced with a prefilter which will further mitigate dust from entering the intake.

We know that snorkels aren't the magic key for making your truck impervious to deep water crossings, rather it's a part of the equation. Luckily, Ford purpose-built this truck for the rugged wilderness, but it's still critical to ensure your electrical and other components are prepared for a dip.

I'm also glad that you brought up the blind spot as well, since I never touched on that before. We made sure to shape our design so that it wouldn't be adding to the blind spot at the A-pillar. Here's a quick photo I snapped from the driver's seat just now:

View attachment 334855

Think of the snorkel more as an added layer of protection on top Ford's engineering. Most of us still put cases and screen protectors on our smartphones even though screens are advertised as scratch and shatter-resistant since protection is a much easier course than replacement.

At the end of the day though, it's YOUR truck, so really it's up to you if you decide that it's needed. Obviously, we here at Borne Off-Road and Mishimoto hope that these do end up on your build list, but really we want wants best for your truck.

As always, don't hesitate to reach out with any questions that you might have!

-Nick

PS - Speaking of the RZR XP we may or may not have some performance upgrades coming for that platform (specifically the XP Turbo) as well ;)

anything larger than a 37 requires aftermarket body panels. Anything 40" requires a one-piece front end, as the 40s will hit the back of the headlights at full bump. anything north of a 37 also requires relocating the washer bottle and some wiring.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anything larger than a 37 requires aftermarket body panels. Anything 40" requires a one-piece front end, as the 40s will hit the back of the headlights at full bump. anything north of a 37 also requires relocating the washer bottle and some wiring.
Roger that! Thanks for the info!

-Nick

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very interesting, if there are some people who have installed this on their truck I'd love some further opinions. I had a snorkel on my JK and forded plenty of streams that otherwise might have been a real issue without the snorkel. Crossing the Rubicon stream was one of those challenges, though granted, a Raptor could NEVER make it through the Rubicon trail.

Derrick Hernandez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting, if there are some people who have installed this on their truck I'd love some further opinions. I had a snorkel on my JK and forded plenty of streams that otherwise might have been a real issue without the snorkel. Crossing the Rubicon stream was one of those challenges, though granted, a Raptor could NEVER make it through the Rubicon trail.
I was going to tell ya to check out this thread for a little more info. Borne(mishimoto) also has a couple videos on YouTube up with it.