Borla Exhaust Ford F-150 Raptor 2017+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting a louder exhaust on this truck is like giving a megaphone to Gilbert Gotfried.

It's just a bad idea overall.

donk_316

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s what I sent to Borla to ask about the X pipe and other info.

“Hello, In regards to part number 140693, this should also fit the 2017 F150 3.5L ecoboost correct? What is the thought process to adding a X pipe to a turbocharged engine? Is it basically just to mellow out the exhaust tone? I would think that since there are no exhaust pulses coming through the turbos or lack of ability to effect scavenging that the X pipe would be pointless. Can 140693 be ordered without the x-pipe? Thanks very much!”

And here is the super technical / customer forward response I received:

“This system is made ONLY for vehicles with substantial engine upgrades, like our turbo upgrade kit it is meant to be paired with. If your vehicle is close to stock power-plant wise, this is not the right part. You should order the regular parts.”

I realize this isn’t exactly the same kit as being discussed in this thread but why is borla customer service so severely off base when it comes to their own products?

Predator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts...

Based on CJ Pony Parts Installation YouTube video of the S-type, I decided to purchase. In the video, it sounded pretty damn good. In hindsight, what was grossly inaccurate was the in-cabin footage. Their video didn't accurately represent the farty noises and drone. Nor did they describe it in the video, but hey, why would they... they are trying to sell the damn thing.

I had the S-type (w/x-pipe) installed on my Rap at the dealer and on the way home I was seriously regretting my decision. It sounded like a tuner fart can Honda. It was embarrassing. Oh and the drone on the highway at all speeds... almost criminal. The faster you go over 55 MPH, the louder it gets. Unless of course, your stereo is cranked up, then you won't really hear it.

Cold startup sounds phenomenal, as it has a deeper, louder grunt accompanied by a better pronounced turbo whistle. Don't expect it to sound like a Super Duty, however.

After 100+ miles the exhaust has mellowed out. Some of the "fartiness" under acceleration and highway drone has subsided. I now love this exhaust half the time, and the other half I feel like it could be corrected by installing a Borla resonator. But my concern is that if I install the resonator I'll lose the sound I love the half of the time. First World Problems. Ugh.

Last edited:

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It won’t fix what you need.

I have the FOMOCO touring which has the resonator.

I say keep what you have and add two twister resonators....

Bullishone did it even with downpipes.

Sounded good.

I’ve been thinking of doing it too.

Here are my thoughts...

Based on CJ Pony Parts Installation YouTube video of the S-type, I decided to purchase. In the video, it sounded pretty damn good. In hindsight, what was grossly inaccurate was the in-cabin footage. Their video didn't accurately represent the farty noises and drone. Nor did they describe it in the video, but hey, why would they... they are trying to sell the damn thing.

I had the S-type (w/x-pipe) installed on my Rap at the dealer and on the way home I was seriously regretting my decision. It sounded like a tuner fart can Honda. It was embarrassing. Oh and the drone on the highway at all speeds... almost criminal. The faster you go over 55 MPH, the louder it gets. Unless of course, your stereo is cranked up, then you won't really hear it.

Cold startup sounds phenomenal, as it has a deeper, louder grunt accompanied by a better pronounced turbo whistle. Don't expect it to sound like a Super Duty, however.

After 100+ miles the exhaust has mellowed out. Some of the "fartiness" under acceleration and highway drone has subsided. I now love this exhaust half the time, and the other half I feel like it could be corrected by installing a Borla resonator. But my concern is that if I install the resonator I'll lose the sound I love the half of the time. First World Problems. Ugh.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you still have your stock exhaust? Maybe take the stock resonator and drop it in. It would probably be a direct fit. If not, an exhaust shop could cut/weld to make it work. That would be significantly cheaper that the Borla resonator.

The pro to this route is that if it sounds like crap you can remove the stock resonator and reinstall the Borla X Pipe.

Here are my thoughts...

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

Would you have room for the Twister resonators? Or would you have to remove the FP resonator section?

I like the thought of the Twisters, I just don't know about the space.

It won’t fix what you need.

I have the FOMOCO touring which has the resonator.

I say keep what you have and add two twister resonators....

Bullishone did it even with downpipes.

Sounded good.

I’ve been thinking of doing it too.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question, why can't you configure the exhaust WITHOUT the silly x pipe and with the front resonator? I want s type with res and don't need the x pipe.

Sounds like you need a Corsa system. I was running their Xtreme muffler with my stock resonator for a while, but I later deleted the resonator for more volume.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is room.

You have to weld them in-line right in front of the muffler.

The touring exhaust is pretty darn cool, but the problem is that at very low RPM, under 2000 and when gently accelerating.... it fills the cabin with “Brrrrrrrrr”. Like a cheap 4 banger.

I’d like to get rid of the brrrr and I think I’m willing to sacrifice some upper RPM TONE.

Do you still have your stock exhaust? Maybe take the stock resonator and drop it in. It would probably be a direct fit. If not, an exhaust shop could cut/weld to make it work. That would be significantly cheaper that the Borla resonator.

The pro to this route is that if it sounds like crap you can remove the stock resonator and reinstall the Borla X Pipe.

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

Would you have room for the Twister resonators? Or would you have to remove the FP resonator section?

I like the thought of the Twisters, I just don't know about the space.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly think a great test would be to replace your X pipe with the stock resonator section if you still have it. Would be free and a great way to tell if you would like it that quiet.

There is room.

You have to weld them in-line right in front of the muffler.

The touring exhaust is pretty darn cool, but the problem is that at very low RPM, under 2000 and when gently accelerating.... it fills the cabin with “Brrrrrrrrr”. Like a cheap 4 banger.

I’d like to get rid of the brrrr and I think I’m willing to sacrifice some upper RPM TONE.