Boost issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is not at all how a wastegate functions. At idle and low boost, the wastegate is always shut. Once you hit your wastegate spring pressure (or electronic boost threshold in the case of the Raptor with an electric wastegate), then the wastegate opens in order to control boost at higher loads and rpm’s in order to avoid overboosting or boost creep. When the motor is in vacuum, and boost pressure less than 10psi, the wastegate will be closed. Not sure what pressure it opens on this truck but I would assume somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 atm (14.7psi) or a little less. At peak boost the wastegate will be fully open.

OP, your operation sounds normal most likely. Put it in sport mode and go WOT going up a slight incline, letting it rev out. If you don’t see higher boost under that condition, something is wrong.
You're right, my nomenclature may have been wrong, swapping wastegate for blowoff

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen full boost on mine. I plan on driving the truck to work tomorrow and will double check.
It definitely hits 20 in sport or baja when floored. Other drive modes run less boost.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropping almost $100K I'll ask whatever the hell I want. Thx.
If there wasn’t a history of random things not working properly it might be one thing. But when there are a handful of warranty things on delivery it’s hard to not ask more questions. Especially with the price of the truck. My tailgate rubs on its own mounting bracket when down and the dealer pretty much wants nothing to do with it so it’s hard to sympathize too.

Beedata

Reaction score
I don’t have a Raptor, but I have a 2021 Lariet with a 3.5 Ecoboost and has the same problem. I took it to 2 dealerships. The second one fixed I kind of, they found the problem. Bad fuel. They tested the fuel, drained the tank, replaced it with Shell 92 drive it about 50 miles problem solved. I guess they’re sensitive to certain fuels. I had put in Mobile 93 when I had the problem. Hope this helps.

Pickle man

Reaction score
I have the same issue, when I first got my gen 3 it would idle at 3-4 on the vacuum side and boost up right away when I stepped on it. Drove through a winter storm and parked the truck, the next morning I started it up and the turbo gauge was reading between 15-20 inHG. After that I did notice a drop in power, specially during take off.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the same issue, when I first got my gen 3 it would idle at 3-4 on the vacuum side and boost up right away when I stepped on it. Drove through a winter storm and parked the truck, the next morning I started it up and the turbo gauge was reading between 15-20 inHG. After that I did notice a drop in power, specially during take off.
The boost/vacuum gauge is supposed to read 15-20 inHG at idle in park. That’s a normal vacuum reading for any engine, turbo or not.

mobiia

Reaction score
You should definitely be seeing higher than 10psi when pushing it or at WOT in my experience, even before tuning. I hit 19 consistently when I push it, but it typically bounces between 6 and 10 when driving normally.