Boost drop mid throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macgyver1307

Reaction score
Looking for some help

So I’ve skimmed all the topics on this and can’t find out what’s going on ..

2019 raptor 69k on OD bxd tuned, VTA blow off valve , oil catch can ps .

I keep on having a drop in boost mid throttle under load . I will keep the petal constant and I will watch half my boost drop and get lunge of build and drop boost .. if I WOT it it goes away.

I have tested tuned and stock .. I have checked for all piping and connections to see if something came unplugged . I’ve changed spark plugs .

Only code I get is a 061a. Next stop is the dealership unless some one has a idea .. video attached

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking for some help

So I’ve skimmed all the topics on this and can’t find out what’s going on ..

2019 raptor 69k on OD bxd tuned, VTA blow off valve , oil catch can ps .

I keep on having a drop in boost mid throttle under load . I will keep the petal constant and I will watch half my boost drop and get lunge of build and drop boost .. if I WOT it it goes away.

I have tested tuned and stock .. I have checked for all piping and connections to see if something came unplugged . I’ve changed spark plugs .

Only code I get is a 061a. Next stop is the dealership unless some one has a idea .. video attached
P061A is Internal Control Module Torque Performance. One of the first diagnostic steps is to check for aftermarket modifications; that’s the most common cause.

The factory diagnostics do not apply once modifications have been made, so the dealer will not be able to accurately diagnose the issue. I’d recommend returning everything to stock and re-evaluate, no sense in paying $100+ an hour to have them tell you they can’t find anything wrong.

OP
OP
Macgyver1307

Macgyver1307

Reaction score
Thank you for the response but I no longer have the original blow off valve .. so I’m SOL there .. have you heard of a east gate issue or boost sensor that could be causing this issue .. I would think the P061A is understandable because of the boost drop ?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s a chicken or the egg scenario…is it dumping boost because of a leak and setting P061A due to torque correlation, or is P061A setting due to another factor and subsequently dumping boost? No way to accurately diagnose that unless it’s in factory configuration.

OP
OP
Macgyver1307

Macgyver1307

Reaction score
@FordTechOne I think you onto something . I have the electronic bee blow off valve and after multiple hours of reading I think it might be creating the issue.. I think I’ll replace it with a stock on or mechanical aftermarket one . But befor I do that I will place a camera to verify it .

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
The problem is the tune. It wasn’t set up properly and is hitting a torque/load limit that was not set properly.

This usually happens when the boost, WGDC/load/torque tables are only tweaked at WOT. There’s a lot of engine operation in between that inexperienced or lazy tuners don’t set up.

There are series’ of tables with a few hundred data points that must be adjusted to match another series’ of tables with a few hundred data points. Torque to Load, Load to Torque, Driver Demand, Low/Medium/High LSPI, etc. This above doesn’t include the hundreds of ignition timing data points.

Tuning a modern ECU is way more complicated than 50 years ago, or even the last decade.

OP
OP
Macgyver1307

Macgyver1307

Reaction score
@TwizzleStix I agree with you I should go to a custom tune. The money is worth it. but why would this still happen when I take the Tune off? I did a KAM reset after tune removal. thanks for your help!

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
@TwizzleStix I agree with you I should go to a custom tune. The money is worth it. but why would this still happen when I take the Tune off? I did a KAM reset after tune removal. thanks for your help!

Wait. You removed the tune and it still does it? I missed that earlier. I’m not familiar with the tun(er). Is it a flash tune or add-on (piggyback) device? You sure it’s back to stock?

Did it do it before and after the tune, or just after?

If the ECU is truly a stock tune, then there is likely a sensor input is incorrect and the dealer tool can test them all. There are several more modifiers/limiters, but the actual load/torque is derived/calculated from throttle position, manifold pressure, and rpm.

OP
OP
Macgyver1307

Macgyver1307

Reaction score
@TwizzleStix yes I have put it all back to stock besides the turbo smart Blow off Vee electric valve and it still does it. the tuner is a BDX bully dog tuner ( like 5star(same company)) . It's just a flash tune- I've had it installed for years, and I update the tune every six months.
Im seeing boost dropouts on all rpm ranges besides WOT then I have no issue. I sometimes get a sound like an old screen door opening very rapidly ( weep weep weep weep ) and it matches the boost drop. I thought it could be a vacuum leak through the IWE but I have no 4wd issues.. I'm leaning towards a waste gate falling or the blow-off valve > the issue with the Blow off valve is that why would it still blow off correctly and not let off all the air at WOT when im at 20 psi ? It could be the updated tune or the wastegate actuating.

i could be wrong but I thought I remember being able to build boost when I was in park and revving to 4k and having the BOV blow off . it no longer does that.

I really appreciate the help. I will be setting up an appointment at the dealer to look at it but they are weeks out so I'm trying to fix if I can. I will be buying a stock BOV to test ( i really like the vent to atmos to clear the gunk from the intercooler.

thank you for your help and if you or anyone has other ways to go please let me know.

OP
OP
Macgyver1307

Macgyver1307

Reaction score
Took my raptor in for diagnosis after waiting a month to get in. Shop tested for 2 hours. They called me and said I have bad cam phasers and that’s why I’m having boost issues. They told me I missed the TSB for replacement by ford and will have to pay out of pocket. I asked how cam phasers would cause a boost drop and no codes to show up ? I was told I need new cam phasers and if that doesn’t fix the boost issue they would replace my fuel pump .. I asked how does cam phasers affect a fuel pump and I was told that they could only diagnose further after the cam phasers are replaced .. feels like they didn’t test that much and are using the rattle that could be the air louvers as a catch all ..

Any thoughts ?