Booking a Trip to Colorado - Where to go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Wren

Reaction score
We try to hit Gold Camp Road and Old Stage Road every summer. There is nothing really challenging on either trail, great scenery though and fun roads to drive on though. They are easy to get to from Colorado Springs and the access to both is right above the Broadmoor. I'd recommend doing these on a weekday and start relatively early in the morning if you can. They can get pretty busy on the weekends especially.
Thanks, sounds like a nice drive, we'll be staying in Colorado Springs so we'll be right there. Found this site on it, looks great. Did you (raptor) fit in the tunnel?

84 Sheepdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, sounds like a nice drive, we'll be staying in Colorado Springs so we'll be right there. Found this site on it, looks great. Did you (raptor) fit in the tunnel?
Yep, a Raptor will fit on both trails and went through the tunnel no problem.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
let me know when you are here. (831) 254-7562. im just north of denver but i used to test tires for a tire manufacturer and i would rally up and down old stage rd at night. i know a few trails and a good shooting spot

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You might ought to read this part of the trail description ... "In 1988 tunnel #3 collapsed and was never repaired. Because of this, the road is now closed to vehicular traffic and is popular with bikers and hikers."

You can get to Upper Gold Camp by going up High Drive. It's OK, but choose your time of day wisely as it's often crowded and dusty. Dawn patrol is ideal. A passenger car can make it easily, so it's not the hill upon which you will find your thrill, but Victor is worth a little time once you get there. You can avoid the washboard and dust by coming back through Cripple Creek and Woodland Park on the pavement. Or you can go south from Victor down Phantom Canyon, which is fairly nice. Once again, passenger car terrain, but mildly scenic. If you're into antiques, you can swing by Florence, which has tons of shops. If you go there, Ito's is a good place to eat.