Bogs down when accelerating!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacob10howard

Reaction score
Have a 2011 with a Whipple SC on, and when I’m cruising on the freeway and I need to accelerate to get ahead it starts to bog down and take a min or two before I’m allowed to give it some gas again without it bogging down! I read ford has a issue with coil pack #8 and have already replaced it 2 times. Any suggestions or advise would be much appreciated!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello new member.

I haven't heard that there is a specific problem with a certain coil pack, not sure if that's true.
Now, coil packs do go bad from time to time.

Have you done the TSB fuse #27 relocation kit yet?
This is a somewhat common problem with the 2011-2014 Raptors.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/make-sure-you-do-the-fuse-27-fix.64444/

Do you have a OBDII scanner or the SCT Tuner device to see if there are any codes being thrown?

OP
OP
J

jacob10howard

Reaction score
Have not done the 27 fuse relocation kit! But will look into it and possibly do it this weekend!

i have the SCT scanner and it always says the #8 coil pack then goes away. Also a code for evap sensor but ford said it was just a clip that broke, the evap sensor itself works fine!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you or have you changed the spark plugs in #8 and the one spark plug wire when you change the coil?
I'm guessing you made sure the connection to the coil pack is sound and solid.
I also recommend popping off the three PCM plugs and give it a good look to see if there is any kind of corrosion or loose wire on the pins.
Ford didn't do a great job of taping up the back of those plugs.

OP
OP
J

jacob10howard

Reaction score
When I installed the SC was the only time we changed the spark plugs! And when I took it to ford for diagnostic it didn’t come up as an issue! Didn’t change the coil pack wire! Just the coil pack itself.

I’ll take a look this weekend at the PCM plugs make sure they are all good! I got some tape, so if I see some tape is messed up or needs more I’ll get that tightened back up.

Thanks for the tips!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These are just a few things I can think of at the moment with the current info.
But I'm sure you know, with these highly computerized vehicles there is a ton of stuff to look at.
Weak battery!!!, bad gas, dirty MAF sensor, low oil, low transmission fluid, over heating, speed sensors in the tranny and at the wheels.
Many more things to consider, a data log while it's happening would be the best thing.

DAGKANA

Reaction score
When was the SC installed? Who installed it? How long have you owned it? With SC applications get yourself some sort of gauge to read the air/fuel ratio and boost. More than likely the SC is increasing the air flow to the motor faster than the injectors can provide the fuel. A fuel pump booster or larger injectors when tuned correctly will remedy this problem...