Boatec Install Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dnewman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent some time looking for fiberglass fenders for my 14 and after looking at a few options, I decided on Boatec. I liked the crispness of their lines and overall build quality (of the revised hand laid glass, not plastic). I also liked their liners better. Having worked with glass on several projects I understand the amount of work that goes into these fenders. I have to say, I am disappointed in the quality of the Boatec fenders. Specifically, a minimal amount of panel bond for the headlight mount, which broke immediately, porosity and cracks in the glass that the body shop found and poor fit/trim of the liners have caused significant work. If I had it to do over I would likely go Glassworks as the entry point is lower for what appears to be the same build quality, maybe even better. I should have pictures soon, but the body shop has shown me the multiple issues that simply should not exist considering these are marketed as the high point of glass for our trucks.

I am happy to answer any questions, I thought I would share my experience for those who are looking also.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Love my Glassworks and liners. I think Glassworks gets a bad rap for no good reason. It's a quality product. Sorry to hear about the Boatecs but it makes me feel better about my decision. Next up Glassworks bedsides.

svtlightning00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i have a question for people who have glassworks and there inner liners. So how did you install them any pics or help would be great.

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for this post. Still waiting for someone to get this 100% right. I purchased Hannaman fenders for my Frontier and took over 100 hours to make them look right. Im not going to do that ever again! How many "hours" is the shop quoting you?

P6290511.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only feedback I got bad on Glassworks is that if you order direct the owner was not very friendly. If you buy from someone who has a relationship with him, the service was fine. I will say, I think the Boatec owner was pretty good in the way he took care of his dealers and replaced all the bad sets he sold. It would be very easy for him to go bankrupt and start over. That alone made me want to help him out. I am not sure if the production is being rushed but I am certainly disappointed for what I heard was a superior product.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only feedback I got bad on Glassworks is that if you order direct the owner was not very friendly. If you buy from someone who has a relationship with him, the service was fine. I will say, I think the Boatec owner was pretty good in the way he took care of his dealers and replaced all the bad sets he sold. It would be very easy for him to go bankrupt and start over. That alone made me want to help him out. I am not sure if the production is being rushed but I am certainly disappointed for what I heard was a superior product.

I've heard that about the owner as well.

OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some of the pictures. The first pictures shows the majority of the trouble, the headlight header was glued on by a small 1/4 bead of panel bonding adhesive. The first time I pushed the headlight in, (which the holes for the headlight mount were not oriented correctly) it popped loose. Behind the two rivets you see are pieces of L shaped aluminum I glassed into the fender. I added more panel adhesive and fiberglass strips to hold them in place. I also had to open up the mounting holes for the headlight. In the center of the picture shows the two captured nuts. That piece was also very weakly bonded and the first time I tightened the front valence under the grill to it, it popped right off. More panel adhesive under there to strengthen it. In the fifth picture, the shop had to take a substantial amount of thickness out of the fender vent as they barely fit, and the indentations similar to the factory fenders extended way past the vent. They had to be sanded and filled in to look original. I have no idea why those extended so far into the panel.

In the upper right corner of the first picture, as a design feature I did not like how the factory valence did not fit very tight to the fender flare extension and the fender on glass fenders. I should be able to now tighten the valence up to the fender, and I added an angle cut nut to the flare with panel adhesive. That way I should be able to pull the flare and the valence tight. When I had it all test fit, that plan appeared to work. Now the horizontal gap to the fender, vertical gap to the flare and adjoining corner were all tight like factory. I think all glass fenders should add this feature. (Don't judge my "Jaba the Hut" mound of panel adhesive around the nut, I was finishing up the tube of panel adhesive and the whole thing is hidden behind the fender anyway :) )

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 128
  • addl repair 1.jpg
    addl repair 1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 159
  • addl repair 2.jpg
    addl repair 2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 123
OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am almost at the end of the process. I have the inner liners at home with Linex ready to go. It should hopefully come together Friday with 37's on Saturday.

Attachments

• painted.png
    painted.png
    531.4 KB · Views: 125