GEN 2 Bluetooth connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drtexas72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am I am checking to see how common this problem is. Has anybody had any problems with the Bluetooth connection in their Gen. 2 raptors with 802 package? Mine seems to have a weak signal and drops connection several times during trips. I know it's not my phone because it maintains a good connection with the other vehicles that I have.

Reaction score
Ive noticed this as well as of late, seems to lose and rejoin a few times when I've gone on more extended drives (30 mins+) but its hit and miss and I need to continue to troubleshoot. I'm on an Android and no problems with other cars, and I rent a lot for business trips. I also use Android Auto quite a bit so lots of things to sort through... I'll monitor and contribute to this thread go-forward, if I have anything worth sharing?

OP
OP
D

drtexas72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive noticed this as well as of late, seems to lose and rejoin a few times when I've gone on more extended drives (30 mins+) but its hit and miss and I need to continue to troubleshoot. I'm on an Android and no problems with other cars, and I rent a lot for business trips. I also use Android Auto quite a bit so lots of things to sort through... I'll monitor and contribute to this thread go-forward, if I have anything worth sharing?

That sounds a lot like the symptoms that I am having as well. Sometimes it is short drives and it disconnect and reconnect various times and sometimes will stay connected for a while and then drop after an hour or so.

Reaction score
I have recently started using bluetooth earbuds for streaming music or podcasts on hikes or bike rides, and if its on and I get in the truck and it switches over to the truck bluetooth connection, my drop/rejoin issues seem more prevalent... but not entirely sure so will do some more troubleshooting as I get the chance...its annoying.

TxRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have bluetooth issues and your navigation map also loses satellite connection, the issue is probably a bad APIM unit. I had mine replaced under warranty 8 months into ownership.

OP
OP
D

drtexas72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have bluetooth issues and your navigation map also loses satellite connection, the issue is probably a bad APIM unit. I had mine replaced under warranty 8 months into ownership.

I had that kind of symptom with my Gen. 1 2012 but at the moment it doesn't look like this one is losing satellite connection. It looks like it is only Bluetooth connection at the moment. I will probably be taking it to the dealership sometime next week to have a checked out.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue is simple: Sync sucks. I've had the same problems with my last two F150s and my wife's last two Explorers. Sync is just a garbage platform.

I usually keep my phone connected via USB -- It's a stable connection and charges the phone at the same time. I also get a better (though feature diluted) interface in Apple Car Play.

Now a feature that I would LOVE: If my phone cannot connect, for the love of all that is good, DO NOT JUST SWITCH BACK TO FM RADIO.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
My last 4 wheeled vehicle had no fancy electronic interface, it had FM, satellite via external receiver and no gps. Frankly, my life was better off for it.

I’ll say that the later versions of sync, particularly v3.x have made improvements. When I first got the truck, the bluetooth would drop or have intermittent connectivity problems often and the connection seems quite a bit more stable now.

I won’t say the system sucks but it’s pretty mature at this point in the life cycle.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My last 4 wheeled vehicle had no fancy electronic interface, it had FM, satellite via external receiver and no gps. Frankly, my life was better off for it.

I’ll say that the later versions of sync, particularly v3.x have made improvements. When I first got the truck, the bluetooth would drop or have intermittent connectivity problems often and the connection seems quite a bit more stable now.

I won’t say the system sucks but it’s pretty mature at this point in the life cycle.

Has it gotten better than it was six years ago when I first got a vehicle with Sync? No argument there. Though referring to it as mature is certainly a relative term.

My frustrations stem from frequent experience. Just yesterday after starting my commute I had no audio and volume control was disabled. I had to pull over in my neighborhood, turn the truck off, wait a minute or two, then turn it back on. Boom, audio working again.

This doesn't happen every day, but it's at least 2-3 times a month (among a litany of other issues). So perhaps "sucks" is a bit harsh; But as I was sitting on the curb yesterday, I probably didn't utter the word "suck", but I can guarantee what I did use rhymed.

WOW

Reaction score
I have the same problems. Lose the phone connection. Incoming call rings, cant answer, answer using phone, sync still ringing until I pull over, shut down and basically reboot. A bunch more intermittant issues. Microsoft should be no where near my truck.