Blown Turbo at 130 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At 130 miles, seems likely to be a QC issue. I'm not suggesting you are wrong in your assessment, but seems just as likely there was a loose connection/bolt/etc that caused the issue that was missed at the factory. Or would a defective turbo (or whatever) show up sooner or later than 130 miles?
Anything is possible of course, but they need to start with the TSB. With the volume of air needed by the turbos, an airflow restriction can cause failure. I was mostly replying to the assumption that the turbo was defective without knowing root cause of the failure.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If that deflector or straightiening vane was restricting flow the turbo would have been in surge causing thrust wiping out the bearings, seals and impeller.
Is this an isolated issue? Can we check ours?

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turbocharger is not the root cause. There is a TSB for this issue, the air deflector on the upper radiator support can interfere with airflow to the air inlet. The lack of airflow is damaging the turbocharger; the turbo itself is not defective. The TSB has the dealer replace the damaged turbo(s) and install a new air deflector.
Passenger turbo by chance? That is the one that died on mine at about 4k miles. Dealer had her all fixed and back to me in about two week. They requested an expedite on the replacement. My service manger said "will do my best to get the new turbo as soon as possible, I hate to see someone buy a really nice new truck and not be able to drive it"

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was concerned that particles from the failed turbo would get ingested by the engine. My service manager told me they checked for that....fine, but were else would it go? Long and short of it....quit worrying. If it did, the engine won't last more than a 1000 miles and I have warranty way longer than that.

I did not get to inspect the blown turbo to determine if the bearing/seal failure allowed the vanes to strike the housing or not.

I have put close to that "1000" miles on her and she is running like a cat with it's tail on fire so no worries!

OP
OP
I

IERAPTOR

Reaction score
I was concerned that particles from the failed turbo would get ingested by the engine. My service manager told me they checked for that....fine, but were else would it go? Long and short of it....quit worrying. If it did, the engine won't last more than a 1000 miles and I have warranty way longer than that.

I did not get to inspect the blown turbo to determine if the bearing/seal failure allowed the vanes to strike the housing or not.

I have put close to that "1000" miles on her and she is running like a cat with it's tail on fire so no worries!
Did Ford give you any type of compensation?

OP
OP
I

IERAPTOR

Reaction score
No, nothing offered other than providing a new car to drive till it was fixed. ....what were you thinking of?
Wasn’t necessarily looking for anything. But I think I saw where another guy got maybe a service contract or extended warranty? Not really sure.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Passenger turbo by chance? That is the one that died on mine at about 4k miles. Dealer had her all fixed and back to me in about two week. They requested an expedite on the replacement. My service manger said "will do my best to get the new turbo as soon as possible, I hate to see someone buy a really nice new truck and not be able to drive it"
Per the TSB, either side could be affected.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If that deflector or straightiening vane was restricting flow the turbo would have been in surge causing thrust wiping out the bearings, seals and impeller.
Is this an isolated issue? Can we check ours?
Check out @Antho ’s thread here:

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s why I hate turbos. Superchargers all day.
Depends on application. Factory superchargers = heat soak up the arse, unless they’re fitted w/ a boatload of coolers (C7 ZR1 has 14 more IC/rads than the C7 Z06 & STILL benefits from upgrading the internal ICs for the SC)
Centrifugal blower on a factory car w/ the right gearing to generate some boost in mid range would be ideal but won’t happen