Blown Turbo at 130 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

multirider

Reaction score
I hope here on out it’s a good truck for you. Crazy at 130 miles… more and more your hearing about defects or early failures on these trucks seems a bit sketchy. I haven’t been scared enough to buy a TRX yet though hah. Your truck looks awesome by the way did you have those fender flares painted? I feel that’s how those should of came.

OP
OP
I

IERAPTOR

Reaction score
I hope here on out it’s a good truck for you. Crazy at 130 miles… more and more your hearing about defects or early failures on these trucks seems a bit sketchy. I haven’t been scared enough to buy a TRX yet though hah. Your truck looks awesome by the way did you have those fender flares painted? I feel that’s how those should of came.
Yes I had Flares painted. Appreciate the love.

ape318

Reaction score
So had my 22 Raptor for two days and turbo let go. After a very long wait to get truck seems like I will be waiting a little longer. Was accelerating on freeway and noticed a loss of power and white smoke coming from tailpipe. Had vehicle towed to dealer and after a few days they told me turbo went out. Definitely disappointed but what you going to do.. Here are a few pics at dealer in service drive.
That’s why I hate turbos. Superchargers all day.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s why I hate turbos. Superchargers all day.
The turbocharger is not the root cause. There is a TSB for this issue, the air deflector on the upper radiator support can interfere with airflow to the air inlet. The lack of airflow is damaging the turbocharger; the turbo itself is not defective. The TSB has the dealer replace the damaged turbo(s) and install a new air deflector.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The turbocharger is not the root cause. There is a TSB for this issue, the air deflector on the upper radiator support can interfere with airflow to the air inlet. The lack of airflow is damaging the turbocharger; the turbo itself is not defective. The TSB has the dealer replace the damaged turbo(s) and install a new air deflector.

At 130 miles, seems likely to be a QC issue. I'm not suggesting you are wrong in your assessment, but seems just as likely there was a loose connection/bolt/etc that caused the issue that was missed at the factory. Or would a defective turbo (or whatever) show up sooner or later than 130 miles?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At 130 miles, seems likely to be a QC issue. I'm not suggesting you are wrong in your assessment, but seems just as likely there was a loose connection/bolt/etc that caused the issue that was missed at the factory. Or would a defective turbo (or whatever) show up sooner or later than 130 miles?
If a turbo has a defect it usually fails quickly. Once fixed, op should be good to go