Blown Transmission @295 miles?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dhowell

Reaction score
I just purchased a new 2018 Raptor yesterday (5/1/19). The truck had 53 miles on it when I picked it up and drove it off the lot. I purchased the vehicle online from a dealer in IL and was driving it back to CO, where I live. Blue with the black and orange seats and carbon fiber package. GORGEOUS.

Full disclosure - I know next to nothing about cars/trucks. I can change my own oil, but that's about as far as my knowledge goes.

At 295 miles on the odometer I pulled off the interstate for a bathroom break. At the bottom of the exit ramp I came to a stop. When traffic was clear I hit the gas, but the truck didn't move. The truck was still in drive, and I hadn't shifted it at all. The engine revved up, but no movement. I tried shifting into manual and moving through the gears but still nothing. I tried shifting into 4H and nothing. When I put the truck in park to try shifting back into drive, the transmission made a horrible grinding noise like something was trying to engage. I cried a little at the noise, but tried to put it back into drive as I was in the middle of the road. Nothing. No noise and no movement. I put it back into Park and the same horrible grinding noise. I was able to push the truck off the road and have the Ford roadside assistance come tow it.

The dealer doesn't know what is wrong yet, but now I'm more than a little worried. They want to tow it back to their dealership, fix it, and then deliver it to me. I'm not sure what to do here. I love the truck (all 250 miles I got to drive it), but I fear this will tank the value as it will be on the CarFax report. A friend of mine that works in the service department at a Ford dealer is telling me I should refuse the truck and demand a new one or my money back. Is that even an option?

Thanks in advance for whatever help/advice you all can offer.

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I could find by Googling cooling off period IL

However, unless the dealer specifically extends this privilege, purchasers have no right under Illinois law to return the car for a full refund. The state does have a law that allows residents to cancel certain consumer contracts within three days, but it doesn't apply to sales of motor vehicles.

There is no buyer's remorse or three day right to cancel a car purchase contract in Illinois

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your best bet is probably with the selling dealership. they are probably more invested in making things right vs taking it to another dealership. see what they say is the problem (could be something simple) and decide from there.

OP
OP
Dhowell

Dhowell

Reaction score
The selling dealership is the one that is going to tow it back to their dealership and fix it. They have been very responsive and helpful thus far. I'm just nervous I spent way too much for a lemon. I guess time will tell!

thanks again.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sure sucks! A lot of service reports don't find their way onto Car-fax, but even if it does I wouldn't worry about it. A tranny is a straightforward replacement and you're good to go. I know if I was looking at a used truck and saw the trans was replaced when new I wouldn't worry about it at all.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A b
The selling dealership is the one that is going to tow it back to their dealership and fix it. They have been very responsive and helpful thus far. I'm just nervous I spent way too much for a lemon.

Just because it puked a transmission doesn't make it a lemon. If it actually crapped out, just replace it and move on. The value won't be diminished- if you trade it in on something new, the dealer won't care at all. I would push hard to get a brand new transmission installed and not a rebuilt one.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
A b

Just because it puked a transmission doesn't make it a lemon. If it actually crapped out, just replace it and move on. The value won't be diminished- if you trade it in on something new, the dealer won't care at all. I would push hard to get a brand new transmission installed and not a rebuilt one.

with the way Ford is now virtualizing inventory, he very well could end up qualifying for a lemon quite easily. Almost certain there are not likely culprits in physical inventory - transmission or transfer case. It’s also probable that they’ll green light a rebuild, rather than replace as they’ve done similarly to the few users who’ve suffered through lunching a transmission or t/c.

OP: I suggest if you haven’t already get on the line with Ford C/S and express your dissatisfaction with this customer experience. Document any expenses incurred and get them to cover it.

BAJA1K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same exact thing happened to my truck at 544 miles. It’s your transfer case. Mine was replaced with a new one. So far everything fine. Also it did give a brief description on carfax report when I checked it later on.