Blown transfer case???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything went great. I would HIGHLY recommend this dealer to anyone in the Denver area. They were very fast to get on my truck, and keep me informed of what they were doing.

The dealer is: Larry H Miller Ford of Lakewood.

My service writer Mike, was great at explaining everything to me so I knew what was going on.

A great experience with ford!

--John

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everything went great. I would HIGHLY recommend this dealer to anyone in the Denver area. They were very fast to get on my truck, and keep me informed of what they were doing.

The dealer is: Larry H Miller Ford of Lakewood.

My service writer Mike, was great at explaining everything to me so I knew what was going on.

A great experience with ford!

--John

Awesome, John; that's the kind of experience I love to hear about! Let's give your dealer a shout-out for doing a great job. PM me any feedback that you'd like me to document about them; I'll make sure it gets entered into our system. Since you've already reached out to Todd, I already have your other details.

Crystal

curtisre3

Reaction score
mine did something similar turns out it was my torque converter went out right after i took it out of 4 wheel hi. its at the dealer right now hope they get it solved quick its getting close to riding season.

OP
OP
J

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little update: Since this incident, which may or may not have been caused by an impact to the transfer case (The skid plate was bent up touching the case), I decided to fab up my own skid plate.

One of the challenges here is there is no place behind the transfer case to support the back end of a skid plate. Any others on the market just angle off to the side like the stock ford one, making them weak.

So heres what i did. I built another cross member from 1.75" DOM i had left over from my chase rack build. I cut side brackets on our CNC out of 3/16 steel to mount it. On the left it mounts to the stock holes, on the right it mounts to holes in the frame that were unused.

Then I just CNC'd a slab of 1/4" steel about 20" x 19 (Yes, im paranoid about damaging that t case again) that spans from the X member in front of the case to my X member behind the case. I got the plate as high up as possible, cut a hole for the T case then welded up a kind of recess for the T case.

Ill post pics as soon as Im done...should be done tomorrow. Heck maybe ill sell these if anyone's interested.

We have *A LOT* of rocks here in Colorado, so i needed something that could basically support the entire weight of the truck without bending into the case. The slab of 1/4" weighs about 33lbs....but this is a small price to pay for the several thousand dollar T case and replacement. I thought of it this way...its the lowest hanging component on the truck, so im going to use the thickest material under it since its the most likely to get hit.

That sucker (T-Case) hangs so low, I Can't believe there wasnt a better design that could have been used to get it high up like the trans...

--John

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here's the start

Attachments

• image-2715753064.jpg
    image-2715753064.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP
J

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped it off at powder coating today....ill start a new thread and post it up when I get it back next week!

--John