Blow off valve??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
something doesn't sound right

I think the new FMIC absorbs the boost (only 20psi) a lot more then the stock intercooler did, which explains the lack of blow off noise. At least that’s what I was told by my Ford tech buddy who did the install.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m open to an explanation.

A bov needs to operate, regardless of the size of the IC. Sounds like it wasn't reinstalled correctly after the FMIC install. Not releasing the pressure when the throttle plate closes under boost will cause pressure to spike and stall the compressors which can lead to turbo damage.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bov needs to operate, regardless of the size of the IC. Sounds like it wasn't reinstalled correctly after the FMIC install. Not releasing the pressure when the throttle plate closes under boost will cause pressure to spike and stall the compressors which can lead to turbo damage.

Thank you, I had a bad feeling about this but your statement confirms it. going to have it looked at soon.

In your opinion, should I hold off on driving the truck until the BOV is operating as intended?

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you, I had a bad feeling about this but your statement confirms it. going to have it looked at soon.

In your opinion, should I hold off on driving the truck until the BOV is operating as intended?

If you don't beat on the truck, I'm sure it will be fine until you get it fixed.

TrewRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the Turbosmart BOV. Loved it, but after installing a Cobb FMIC I can’t hear it blow off at all. The extra power from a Goosetune stage 2 makes the lack of the cool blow off sound worth it though.

My way of telling you that if you’re planning on upgrading the intercooler, don’t waste the money on the BOV.
Same boat, can't hear shit!

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same boat, can't hear shit!

Not a good thing for your turbos! I spent half the day to figure out that the Turbosmart BOV was stuck in the closed position. I pulled it off, sprayed a little lube inside, and it’s blowing off as intended. I hope that’s the same issue you have.

Quiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score