Bloomberg article on pickup trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

will61

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Petro-masculinity. I feel all swole with pride just thinking about that. And I had no idea I was maintaining my performative masculinity by driving a pickup. Here I thought it was the ******. :D

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-11/the-dangerous-rise-of-the-supersized-pickup-truck

"Styling trends are almost as alarming. Pickup truck front ends have warped into scowling brick walls, billboards for outwardly directed hostility. “The goal of modern truck grilles,” wrote Jalopnik’s Jason Torchinsky in 2018, “seems to be… about creating a massive, brutal face of rage and intimidation.”"

"To Albert, the booming appeal of bigger and more brutish trucks reflects “a crisis of masculinity,” he says. “Nothing could be more emasculating than driving a minivan. So you want the vehicle that’s going to maintain your performative masculinity.”"

"Daggett coined the term “petro-masculinity” to describe flamboyant expressions of fossil fuel use by men (and some women as well, but mostly men) as a reaction against social progress. To these drivers, “the affront of global warming or environmental regulations appear as insurgents on par with the dangers posed by feminists and ***** movements seeking to leach energy and power from the state/traditional family,” she wrote."

“Burning fossil fuels can come to function as a knowingly violent experience,” Daggett writes, “a reassertion of white masculine power on an unruly planet that is perceived to be increasingly in need of violent, authoritarian order.”

Wow that article was rough. Definitely an outsider perspective and someone that is not taking into account that the North American economy needs heavy duty trucks to function and posing increased regulation will impact all business that actually produce and provide services. This will in turn mean limitations and/or price increases to end customers.

This is an example of a "writer" working to justify their existence and work to maintain an extreme political narrative.

Noplacelikeloam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sad thing about this is the author totally misses the point that some people actually buy these things to do what they were designed to do. Her minivan wouldn’t last a month if I used it to support my mountain sports. It screams of a scared individual living in the city sipping her latte judging the world as it passes her by.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just idiots. I dont think I can haul any type of tools to work in a Prius, at least the ones I need. amazing how far removed from reality some people are. and how unappreciative or just ignorant on how the working class in construction , trucking , farming etc. drive the world. if all these trucks were gone. lets see how fast this whole world comes to a grinding halt.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or maybe they are envious and just need to tear those down who have what they want. trucks are this months target.

this is a novel idea. maybe more people should worry about theirselves and their own problems instead of worrying about everyone else and causing problems with everyone else. "Don't Tread on Me". and I won't drive my raptor over your Prius.

Last edited:

tabvette

FRF Addict
Reaction score
“To fill the bottomless tank of a pickup … is to practice the religion of the American Way. It is to affirm climate denial, petrol-adventurism, and American exceptionalism.”

Sums it up for me. This person who wrote this drives a prius if they even have a car.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Prius (or more likely now a Tesla) that more often than not is charged electrically by a coal fired power plant, negating any true “climate change” reductions.

Nikola Tesla is surely rolling in his grave at the travesties that have been pushed as “advances in technology” in his name, all the while ignoring the fact that he created nearly every technological advantage we use on a daily basis.

He advocated for true free energy, and all we got was some guy who tells you the government is bad while he takes subsidies from them like it’s 1999.

I’ll take my 10 mpg over all that bullish any day.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
A few weeks ago my buddy had to travel for work. He rented a gas vehicle and his coworker rented a Tesla cause he thought it would be cool to try one. He said they were always in a hurry to get to the next place for work and he would just get gas and be on his way. His coworker wasted hours every single day trying to find a charger, waiting in long line at the chargers, get some juice enough to get to the next place and then take off and hurry along late to everything. He says the guy stressed for 3 days in a row just frantically trying to get enough juice and swore he would never rent a Tesla again.

So they are cool and good arguably for the short daily commuting from your home. But there are still a lot of circumstances where they are hot garbage where just stopping for 5 mins for gas and filling up is a better choice then waiting half the day to figure out a charge. They are good for some ppl and not for others, so it’s exciting the government is just goin to one size fits all make you swallow it regardless…

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was surprised to see GM is moving the direction of supercharged V8 as well. Having a Tahoe / Escalade with the supercharged LT4 is a complete beast!! Watch the video of it launching... WOW!!!
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/0...-sounds-like-a-beast-with-lt4-v8-power-video/

Ironically, Ford did take notice of this as I saw a separate story explaining that the 5.2 SC work in the raptor does translate to the Expedition / Navigator. I would love to see Ford enter in the high power SUV game.

There was even more Ford info as they were showcasing the Ranger Raptor and the work Ford is doing to get the 5.0 in there. The article was kinda sketchy though since they were saying it was no problem since the Bronco DR had the 5.0 fitted easily. They forgot that the Bronco DR has a unique frame for obvious reasons.

OP
OP
GordoJay

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
“To fill the bottomless tank of a pickup … is to practice the religion of the American Way. It is to affirm climate denial, petrol-adventurism, and American exceptionalism.”

Sums it up for me. This person who wrote this drives a prius if they even have a car.
How do I join your church? Oh, wait, I already did.