Bloomberg article on pickup trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow. Petro-masculinity. I feel all swole with pride just thinking about that. And I had no idea I was maintaining my performative masculinity by driving a pickup. Here I thought it was the ******. :D

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-11/the-dangerous-rise-of-the-supersized-pickup-truck

"Styling trends are almost as alarming. Pickup truck front ends have warped into scowling brick walls, billboards for outwardly directed hostility. “The goal of modern truck grilles,” wrote Jalopnik’s Jason Torchinsky in 2018, “seems to be… about creating a massive, brutal face of rage and intimidation.”"

"To Albert, the booming appeal of bigger and more brutish trucks reflects “a crisis of masculinity,” he says. “Nothing could be more emasculating than driving a minivan. So you want the vehicle that’s going to maintain your performative masculinity.”"

"Daggett coined the term “petro-masculinity” to describe flamboyant expressions of fossil fuel use by men (and some women as well, but mostly men) as a reaction against social progress. To these drivers, “the affront of global warming or environmental regulations appear as insurgents on par with the dangers posed by feminists and ***** movements seeking to leach energy and power from the state/traditional family,” she wrote."

“Burning fossil fuels can come to function as a knowingly violent experience,” Daggett writes, “a reassertion of white masculine power on an unruly planet that is perceived to be increasingly in need of violent, authoritarian order.”

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What a great GAY piece. I like "gleefully violent styling". I have to agree with this next part about what I really NEED, “If you do need a vehicle that will go off road, carry lots of weapons or run over people,” he says, “then these bigger vehicles do it better than these smaller ones.” They hit the nail on the head with that quote.

Funny how they lumped mini vans into the article. I had mini vans for work cars for 20 years!

Last edited:

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Author probably takes the bus.

I'm guessing he rides a bicycle with no seat so he can sit on the post! Funny how it seems so hard to understand for the metrosexual crowd that maybe people buy trucks because they like them, they want them, and they can afford them.

Last edited:

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the author of the article is offended that people drive trucks, and people who drive trucks are offended that the author is offended that people drive trucks.

Who is more offended?o_O

Disclaimer: I meant that as a joke that people are offended that people drive trucks and not a comment on people posts previous to mine.

OP
OP
GordoJay

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Funny how they lumped mini vans into the article. I had mini vans for work cars for 20 years!

Yeah, that part didn't ring true. It's driving a Prius that saps your masculinity. But s/he/it(pronounced shee-it) probably borrows their Mom's Prius and didn't want to **** her(assuming Mom still identifies as a woman, and after seeing how her kid turned out, that's unlikely) off.

I'm guessing he rides a bicycle with no seat so he can ride on the post! Funny how it seems so hard to understand for the metrosexual crowd that maybe people buy trucks because they like them, they want them, and they can afford them.

And because they go off road and carry lots of weapons. Don't forget the weapons. Although the Raptor isn't ideal for that because the load limit is only 1200lb and you have to leave most of your weapons at home. And the ammo. Ammo is heavy. And weapons without ammo are like bicycles without seats. Maybe the author would be happier if you shoved your weapon where the seatpost usually goes ... you're even disgusting me with that thought. What a sicko. :angels25:

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a couple of observations after reading about half the dribble spilled onto the page, I always find it interesting to see if 'articles' like the aforementioned have a comments section enabled and how difficult it is to see it, sign in, and post a comment. It says a lot about a piece when you do not allow your prospective audience to have a rebuttle or discussion about the issues raised, it appears we have ourselves a journalistic hit-and-run here.

Last one, it's always a bad move to use an ad hominem attack to get your point across, name calling and utilizing inflammatory language really doesn't help you convince the people you're trying to persuade to do anything different.

I just like the truck.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From her Twitter description:

“Covering the movement for sustainable transport, mobility justice, and livable streets, nationwide.”

I didn’t know Mobility needed justice? I wonder who wronged Mobility.

This feels like code for her not being happy till everyone rides a bike or drives a pedal car.

c50996f1d3cc7a67ec6be9313c0da525.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk