How To Blend Door Actuator Replacement with Part Numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you run a Self Test on the HVAC module? Each actuator contains a sensor so the module knows where the actuator is positioned. If the module commands a a position and it doesn’t see the actuator move as expected, it will set a DTC.

Mind explaining what the self test is? Can't find anything on it. I did find the test mode which I had no idea about, very cool, but seems to be just gauge info.

Last edited:

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like older model was accessed from holding off + defrost or floor button then auto button. Didn't seem to work on mine. Also only have power button no off button so probably not right.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mind explaining what the self test is? Can't find anything on it. I did find the test mode which I had no idea about, very cool, but seems to be just gauge info.

There should be an option to self test a module under the DTC screen. I haven’t used ForScan in a while though, maybe someone else can chime in with specifics.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be an option to self test a module under the DTC screen. I haven’t used ForScan in a while though, maybe someone else can chime in with specifics.

Oh wow, I've been using torque pro but I think this only covers engine management diagnostics where as the forscan, but I gather, can read all vehicle modules. Interesting. I need this

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh wow, I've been using torque pro but I think this only covers engine management diagnostics where as the forscan, but I gather, can read all vehicle modules. Interesting. I need this

Exactly, torque pro most likely can’t pull DTCs from anything other than the PCM. The basic version of ForScan is available for download at no cost.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still researching but getting codes:

B1086 - Faulty Air Distribution Damper Motor - Circuit short to ground
B11E7 - Faulty Air Distribution Damper Motor - Circuit short to battery or ground

Capture.JPG

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thats a shame. All signs pointed torwards blend door that was replaced. I found a service manual and I kept reading it over and over and the way I interpreted it was that when the blend door is defective it comes out as a short. Kept saying it does the sweep and checks the endpoints. So replaced the actuator a 2nd time. No go. $100 bucks wasted. I guess this will forever be an uncontrolled heater till I take the loss sell to someone else and they can deal with it. Can't afford any more time or money on it.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well thats a shame. All signs pointed torwards blend door that was replaced. I found a service manual and I kept reading it over and over and the way I interpreted it was that when the blend door is defective it comes out as a short. Kept saying it does the sweep and checks the endpoints. So replaced the actuator a 2nd time. No go. $100 bucks wasted. I guess this will forever be an uncontrolled heater till I take the loss sell to someone else and they can deal with it. Can't afford any more time or money on it.
A circuit short DTC can be a faulty control module, damaged circuit, or faulty actuator.Since you’ve already replaced the actuator, you’re down to the module or circuit. Do you have a basic volt meter? Checking the circuit is not very difficult.