How To Blend Door Actuator Replacement with Part Numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
=

Kind of late but checked a few things. With actuator out it will just rotate clockwise, then rotate a little more from selecting like panel or floor. Just keeps moving into the defrost position. Also checked voltage and getting 4.9 from 2 of the terminals. Not really sure how to interpret that. Then if I select something goes from 4.8 to 4.9 probably because its in max position and keeps position. Sounds like control unit.

Anybody have info on control unit?
@FordTechOne?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Was it a Motorcraft part? Might be DOA, even if Motorcraft, just curious. Can you pull it out, plug in the connector, and see if it moves at all when you turn on the ignition? Given the way mine clicked, I think they do a sweep when ignition is turned to "on", before starting, to like set their position. And then move your controls to vent or floor and see if it moves at all?

DO NOT plug the actuator in and turn on the ignition with it outside of the case. That initial sweep is used to determine the stop points. With the actuator out of the case, it will over travel and damage the actuator.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just to be clear, mines locked in defrost mode. Temp is adjusting is fine as well as driver/passenger temp control.

Your issue is related to the defrost/panel/floor mode door. It could be the actuator itself, a circuit issue, or a faulty HVAC module. Actuator replacement instructions are below.

Removal and Installation

NOTE: The defrost/panel/floor mode door actuator can be accessed from underneath the LH side of the instrument panel.

1. Disconnect the defrost/panel/floor door mode door actuator electrical connector.
  1. Remove the 2 defrost/panel/floor door mode door actuator screws.
  1. Remove the defrost/panel/floor door mode door actuator.
  1. NOTICE: The ignition key must be off when replacing the actuator. Energizing the actuator before installation will cause the part to become positioned incorrectly and proper orientation will be lost. Incorrect actuator operation will result.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
  1. Remove the passenger side cowl trim panel. For additional information, refer to Section 501-12.
  1. NOTE: The purpose of the module actuator position calibration is to allow the HVAC module to reinitialize and calibrate the actuator stop points. To carry out calibration, carry out the following steps.

Remove Body Control Module BCM fuse 46 for at least one minute.
  1. NOTE: When the ignition switch is switched to the ON position, the HVAC module will initialize and calibrate the actuators. Calibration of the actuators will take approximately 30 seconds.

Reinstall BCM fuse 46. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and wait 30 seconds before verifying correct mode door actuator operation.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO NOT plug the actuator in and turn on the ignition with it outside of the case. That initial sweep is used to determine the stop points. With the actuator out of the case, it will over travel and damage the actuator.
Oops.
Your issue is related to the defrost/panel/floor mode door. It could be the actuator itself, a circuit issue, or a faulty HVAC module. Actuator replacement instructions are below.

Removal and Installation

NOTE: The defrost/panel/floor mode door actuator can be accessed from underneath the LH side of the instrument panel.

1. Disconnect the defrost/panel/floor door mode door actuator electrical connector.
  1. NOTICE: The ignition key must be off when replacing the actuator. Energizing the actuator before installation will cause the part to become positioned incorrectly and proper orientation will be lost. Incorrect actuator operation will result.

1. Remove the passenger side cowl trim panel. For additional information, refer to Section 501-12.
  1. NOTE: The purpose of the module actuator position calibration is to allow the HVAC module to reinitialize and calibrate the actuator stop points. To carry out calibration, carry out the following steps.

1. NOTE: When the ignition switch is switched to the ON position, the HVAC module will initialize and calibrate the actuators. Calibration of the actuators will take approximately 30 seconds.

Reinstall BCM fuse 46. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and wait 30 seconds before verifying correct mode door actuator operation.
For @matrix243, how can he test HVAC module?

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Removal and Installation

Thanks! So a couple question if you don't mind.

1) I did replace the actuator previously, and pretty sure I did the fuse removal reset correctly and didn't make a difference. By chance if you didn't do the procedure correctly, would it just be a matter of doing again a 2nd time or is there anything additional to correct?

2) After retrying different things I did try the actuator with it removed which is a nono. It still feels like its fine, as in, once I installed it rotates clockwise and is locked in one position. Is it possible its already damaged and in need of another replacement? Possibly when it did the first sweep it was somehow damaged so now it isn't picking up the connection when it does the calibration.

3) What would be the hvac module? I assume is not any of the actuator modules. Under rock auto I'm only seeing the actuator related to heater control.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3) What would be the hvac module? I assume is not any of the actuator modules. Under rock auto I'm only seeing the actuator related to heater control.
Probably gonna be dealer only, thinking it's #18 but this is for a '13 and there's two for with heated seats (on mine I would try DL3Z-19980-H for $133.28, not too bad) and one without (odd since the seat heat/cool is on the nav screen and not a button on mine, but it was for '10-'12 I think):
https://www.tascaparts.com/v-2013-ford-f-150--svt-raptor--6-2l-v8-gas/hvac--controls

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably gonna be dealer only, thinking it's #18 but this is for a '13 and there's two for with heated seats (on mine I would try DL3Z-19980-H for $133.28, not too bad) and one without (odd since the seat heat/cool is on the nav screen and not a button on mine, but it was for '10-'12 I think):
https://www.tascaparts.com/v-2013-ford-f-150--svt-raptor--6-2l-v8-gas/hvac--controls

So thats the actual button control unit, I'm just guessing but wouldn't there be other indicators that it has failed? Everything else works. I guess it could be the button because it has no response. All other buttons respond.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks! So a couple question if you don't mind.

1) I did replace the actuator previously, and pretty sure I did the fuse removal reset correctly and didn't make a difference. By chance if you didn't do the procedure correctly, would it just be a matter of doing again a 2nd time or is there anything additional to correct?

Not positive, but it would probably still work since the HVAC module should reperform the initialization.

2) After retrying different things I did try the actuator with it removed which is a nono. It still feels like its fine, as in, once I installed it rotates clockwise and is locked in one position. Is it possible its already damaged and in need of another replacement? Possibly when it did the first sweep it was somehow damaged so now it isn't picking up the connection when it does the calibration.

If it was operated outside of the case is is most likely damaged and will need to be replaced, as noted in the procedure. Have you pulled DTCs with ForScan? It’s very possible you have a circuit issue, not an actuator issue.

Thanks for your time!

The HVAC module is the electronic module that controls the system. It is located under the center speaker on the top of the instrument panel.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not positive, but it would probably still work since the HVAC module should reperform the initialization.

If it was operated outside of the case is is most likely damaged and will need to be replaced, as noted in the procedure. Have you pulled DTCs with ForScan? It’s very possible you have a circuit issue, not an actuator issue.

The HVAC module is the electronic module that controls the system. It is located under the center speaker on the top of the instrument panel.

No faults came up.
I'll reorder a new actuator and see if that works. Most likely not I'm guessing.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No faults came up.
I'll reorder a new actuator and see if that works. Most likely not I'm guessing.

Did you run a Self Test on the HVAC module? Each actuator contains a sensor so the module knows where the actuator is positioned. If the module commands a a position and it doesn’t see the actuator move as expected, it will set a DTC.