GEN 1 Binding or tightness in steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

agdaniels

Reaction score
For anyone following or that encounters this, the problem is the rack. I put in some Lucas power steering stop leak and it freed up the steering. Feels normal and smooth. Not sure how long it'll last, but at least it's better until I get a new rack on it.

BlueSVT13

Reaction score
For anyone following or that encounters this, the problem is the rack. I put in some Lucas power steering stop leak and it freed up the steering. Feels normal and smooth. Not sure how long it'll last, but at least it's better until I get a new rack on it.
Hey, I know this was long ago but ive been experiencing something very similar in my truck and only thing to makes sense is that my rack is busted. Ive checked everything multiple times, flushed the entire system multiple times and have had my pump rebuilt (i have an aftermarket Lee's pump). How did you figure it was the rack? Have you changed it out since?

OP
OP
A

agdaniels

Reaction score
Figured out it was the pump when the stop leak made it run better. My guess is that it was losing pressure at the seals, which makes sense as I saw some residue around the ends.

I did end up replacing the rack, got it from rock auto and went to a dealership for install. I believe it was 2.5 hrs of labor. Steering has been perfect since.

I will also say that load range E tires negatively impacted the steering feel, when I put on C rated tires their lighter weight was noticeable. Not related but figured I'd mention, it's not a strong setup I guess.