Billet oil pump install if Roush SC already in place?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RS4

RS4

Reaction score
Stock oil pump. I don’t quite redline it, though let it run through the gears to the shift point at WOT.

Tune is from VMP. It’s great. Improve throttle response, power and fuel economy. JDM is very reputable as well.

125k on a stock oil pump gives me peace of mind. Perhaps I'll just tune it instead. If its a 1000 bucks to install the pump then perhaps. But, it really seems complicated to do.
My truck is barely a weekend truck. Probably will hit 65k in a few years if that.

OP
OP
RS4

RS4

Reaction score
Avoid wheel hop. I was told this was a major contributing factor for failure by two reputable tuners.

Good point! Only did that a few times by accident!

curious, do you know if the pump fails, i assume the engine blows or is damaged beyond repair?

I will always try to avoid the recline
I just like the scream of the exhaust

BoostedToy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely avoid the rev limiter. Shift points are one thing, bouncing off the rev limiter isn’t good.

if the oil pump fails and somehow you would immediately be able to shut the engine off (which I believe the oil pressure sensor on these trucks senses and will shut off the engine when it dips to a certain low pressure), it’s not necessarily a death sentence for the engine. If it blows apart and the metallic fragments are churning in the crank case, not great. It would need further inspection.

Cristian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have stock roush truck with 155k, stock gears still and I beat on it I just don’t do any launches from a dig. Might consider once I do the 700 jdm Kit

OP
OP
RS4

RS4

Reaction score
makes me feel way better man!
I'd like to tune it for sure, but can't decide on which company. the 700 kit is no joke. Definite wheel hop on that man!

Just want to post a sign on the window for Gen 2 owners...not interested in racing, thx
worse then the subbys when I had the mustang. Now with the alfa QV, get a-hole bmw drivers

the above statement has no relevance

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Deavers help with hop, but if you are going to be on the pavement and let it rip get some sort of track bar set up. It will save the pump gears and the converter. Those are the 2 things that will get destroyed with HP and sudden On/Off shock load from wheel hop.
I highly recomend JDM for the tune.
I had 140k miles on mine with stock pump, but was thinking it was time to upgrade just for the safety. When it goes, its usually catastrophic.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ran the stock pump with my Roush for about 30k miles with a 75mm pulley and larger throttle body. When I decided to go full headers and 69mm pulley I also went to the Melling oil pump. Will the stock one hold forever? Maybe. But if it goes it's taking the motor with it, and that's a lot more money. The installation is no joke. It's a major tear down of the front of the motor, and while you are there you might as well replace all sorts of other wearable parts such as timing components. You can also consider the head gasket. It's your gamble to take, for me it ultimately wasn't worth the gamble.