Bike Mount Options on Your Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through the same thing, so here's my take and what I ultimately ended up with:

1) Tailgate pad: always just seemed like too cheap and too poor of a solution for anyone other than a very casual rider--the kind of person that rides so little that they would just put the bike in the bed when necessary. Also, this solution uses up a lot of bed space for the bikes. I guess I just can't see myself dangling $10k of bikes over the tailgate of the truck. Big pain to get bikes on/off, too.

2) Recon rack: awesome solution, but way overkill except for the most hardcore users. Super easy to get bikes on/off. It's expensive, tall, and top heavy but is probably what I would use if I needed to carry 5-6 bikes all the time.

3) Frame hitch rack: these things absolutely suck. They scuff up your bikes, most have no provision for security, many of them shake all around. Bikes are a pain to take on/off. I hated every minute that I used one of these.

4) Platform hitch rack: this was the sweet spot for me. I have 3-bike and 2-bike versions of the Kuat NV 2.0 and they're rock solid. Short of a Recon style rack, it's by far easier to get the bikes on/off than the others. "Security" is integrated into the rack, the only point of contact with the bike is on the wheels/tires, and the whole thing is just a pleasure to use. The only downside I've found is that a 3-4 bike rack like this starts to make the truck a little on the long side, but I can live with that.

I snapped this pic at a local brewery when I saw another Raptor (with a 3-bike 1up rack) park next to my Raptor with the 3-bike Kuat.

IMG_9175.jpeg

Mwadsworth

Reaction score
Nice Pic. I am leaning toward Kuat or 1Up for two bikes. I like both but 1up cost less and has no plastic that can break so may lean this way.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nice Pic. I am leaning toward Kuat or 1Up for two bikes. I like both but 1up cost less and has no plastic that can break so may lean this way.
I like that 1Up only touches the tire too. I have a crabon frame and wheels and dont like the wheel strap. My MTB wheels cost more than my truck wheels lol

VGKRaptor

Reaction score
I went through the same thing, so here's my take and what I ultimately ended up with:

1) Tailgate pad: always just seemed like too cheap and too poor of a solution for anyone other than a very casual rider--the kind of person that rides so little that they would just put the bike in the bed when necessary. Also, this solution uses up a lot of bed space for the bikes. I guess I just can't see myself dangling $10k of bikes over the tailgate of the truck. Big pain to get bikes on/off, too.

2) Recon rack: awesome solution, but way overkill except for the most hardcore users. Super easy to get bikes on/off. It's expensive, tall, and top heavy but is probably what I would use if I needed to carry 5-6 bikes all the time.

3) Frame hitch rack: these things absolutely suck. They scuff up your bikes, most have no provision for security, many of them shake all around. Bikes are a pain to take on/off. I hated every minute that I used one of these.

4) Platform hitch rack: this was the sweet spot for me. I have 3-bike and 2-bike versions of the Kuat NV 2.0 and they're rock solid. Short of a Recon style rack, it's by far easier to get the bikes on/off than the others. "Security" is integrated into the rack, the only point of contact with the bike is on the wheels/tires, and the whole thing is just a pleasure to use. The only downside I've found is that a 3-4 bike rack like this starts to make the truck a little on the long side, but I can live with that.

I snapped this pic at a local brewery when I saw another Raptor (with a 3-bike 1up rack) park next to my Raptor with the 3-bike Kuat.

View attachment 339057
I second the Kuat NV. I’ve been through it all and this is my personal choice for many reasons.

jctboard

Reaction score
Not a great picture and I have don't have the bike attachments on, but I have a Thule bars over the bed and can put my Thule and Yakima bike racks on the bars. It was a great way to keep all the Thule accessories I had from my previous car.

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 40