Big Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
See if @FordTechOne can confirm but pretty sure the truck has active proportioning front to rear. Not uncommon on modern ABS systems. Hell my BMW motorcycle had it. I don't believe it's just a set mechanical ratio. I suspect he will state that it was not designed to work with aftermarket kits. However, if the system is monitoring wheel speed... based on my experiences and others, I feel safe for myself and my uses. Also, in this thread or another I pointed out Alcon sells a more aggressive rear pad to fit the OE calipers/rotors. If you don't know, they are no small potatoes in the braking global market and have a significant financial obligation to protect.
Yes, dynamic proportioning has been around quite some time now, starting in the early 2000’s. It replaced metering and proportioning valves, but with the ability to vary front and rear bias based on conditions like brake pressure, speed, inferred brake temperature, etc.

Weight transfer dictates that the front brakes will always handle more load than the rear. Dynamic proportioning compensates for wear and the front to rear braking force ratio, but the front will always be responsible for the majority of the braking force.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
70-80 before or after the big brake kit? I am just curious how you keep it balanced
Wife’s Range Rover sport has brembo’ on the front and what appear to be just a traditional sliding caliper (although pretty big) in the back.

We have a friends Acura that is the same. Pretty sure they are the same brembos lol.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
P
Yes, dynamic proportioning has been around quite some time now, starting in the early 2000’s. It replaced metering and proportioning valves, but with the ability to vary front and rear bias based on conditions like brake pressure, speed, inferred brake temperature, etc.

Weight transfer dictates that the front brakes will always handle more load than the rear. Dynamic proportioning compensates for wear and the front to rear braking force ratio, but the front will always be responsible for the majority of the braking force.
ok, so I hit the brakes hard, the braking system senses the front, now fitted with the big brakes, is doing to much and backs them off and or adds rear braking. That seems like it defeats the purpose unless you add the pads or something to the rear. I guess you would not suffer brake fade. I know I usually wipe out a set of front brakes coming down Wolf Creek pass. Maybe this would fix that.
Just trying to figure out if this is something I want to do.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
P

ok, so I hit the brakes hard, the braking system senses the front, now fitted with the big brakes, is doing to much and backs them off and or adds rear braking. That seems like it defeats the purpose unless you add the pads or something to the rear. I guess you would not suffer brake fade. I know I usually wipe out a set of front brakes coming down Wolf Creek pass. Maybe this would fix that.

Proportioning doesn't mean that it will sense that the front brakes are "doing too much work" and then back off for worse performance. Proportioning works to maximize the balance between both the front and rear for optimal performance.

This kind of performance bias and proportioning has been around for years. For example, the Toyota Tacoma STILL in 2023 has rear drum brakes with front disc brakes. Drums definitely do not perform as well as a disc brakes, but the system still remains safe and balanced.

As far as cooking a set of brakes coming down that pass, you'll want to upgrade to a setup that can still perform optimally at high temperatures. Whether you upgrade rotors and pads only or ultimately opt for an upgraded caliper with additional pistons, you'll want to make sure that they can handle the high heat generated by your type of driving. Just be warned that as you increase performance, you also increase the likelihood of adding noise and dust.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Proportioning doesn't mean that it will sense that the front brakes are "doing too much work" and then back off for worse performance. Proportioning works to maximize the balance between both the front and rear for optimal performance.

This kind of performance bias and proportioning has been around for years. For example, the Toyota Tacoma STILL in 2023 has rear drum brakes with front disc brakes. Drums definitely do not perform as well as a disc brakes, but the system still remains safe and balanced.

As far as cooking a set of brakes coming down that pass, you'll want to upgrade to a setup that can still perform optimally at high temperatures. Whether you upgrade rotors and pads only or ultimately opt for an upgraded caliper with additional pistons, you'll want to make sure that they can handle the high heat generated by your type of driving. Just be warned that as you increase performance, you also increase the likelihood of adding noise and dust.
Maybe I was not so clear. I never intended to indicate they would have worse performance, just the same as stock or your balance front/rear would be messed up.
Where I see a huge gain is during high heat and load conditions that would overwhelm the stock brakes. Also, for vehicles that have increased traction allowing for increased braking.
When you state increased noise, what are you referring to?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Maybe I was not so clear. I never intended to indicate they would have worse performance, just the same as stock or your balance front/rear would be messed up.
Where I see a huge gain is during high heat and load conditions that would overwhelm the stock brakes. Also, for vehicles that have increased traction allowing for increased braking.
When you state increased noise, what are you referring to?
To create greater friction, brake companies use various methods. Obviously, more pistons means more force applied. However, they can also create greater friction and greater heat performance by changing the composition of the materials for the rotors and pads. Ford OEM parts are going to be a balance of performance, quietness, and cost for them.

However, when you're wanting more performance you change the chemical composition for higher heat resistance and/or greater friction, however, that also means you may give up some of the creature comforts such as quietness and low dust. Referring to noise specifically, sometimes high performance pads/brakes will have some squeaking, especially when cold.

flockofraptors

Reaction score
P

I don't know anything about proportioning, but I went with a BBK due to what you stated - glazing brakes coming down passes. The BBK simply gives you more sustained braking vs being one and done in high use situations.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score