Big Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RockyRoad

Reaction score
Rotora's rotor is only 1mm thicker than stock, the overall thermal mass isn't really increased at all, pretty sure Alcon is in the same boat. Compound Mu is generally pretty tame for most street pad compounds too, so you're not dumping a ton of heat into the rotor unless your dragging the brakes down the side of a mountain.

A larger area pad will operate at a cooler temperature and live a longer life than a smaller area pad. The most important factor of the caliper is piston area, and the main benefit in moving to a fixed caliper is increasing rigidity and reducing deflection in the system which makes for a more efficient braking system. All of this has been proven time and time again in the racing world.

I've designed a multitude of brake kits, I have no qualms with the approach I'm taking. Bigger rotor would be nice but that's not in the cards to fit behind a stock wheel (and it jacks up consumable cost a good bit). Any of the kits on the market (and the one I'm designing) would be plenty for 99.9% of people, it's just that none of the kits on the market check all of my boxes.

It also depends on the size of the air-gap in the center. Competition rotors for racing cars often have thinner braking surfaces and a larger air-gap for cooling and less unsprung weight, but as a result, cannot "store" as much heat (and use up really expensive brake pads like they're free :) ). A smaller air-gap would then theoretically allow for more rotor mass in the same space - and more heat capacity. Heat generated that cannot be stored will be transmitted back into the pad and caliper, right?

I have no idea what the weight difference is between the aftermarket and factory rotors of the same size, that would be interesting to find out.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Less mass will cool quicker if the surface area and air flow remain constant. If you want cooler brakes, larger diameter and increased air flow is the answer.
Different pad materials have varying friction. A pad with a lot of friction takes less lb’s per sq/in to perform the same work. That requires less pedal pressure giving you the illusion they work better. No matter what pad or caliper you use, it still uses the same amount of energy to slow the truck down.
You can’t increase braking performance past tire traction. So, most braking kits don’t increase stopping power, your traction is normally the limiting factor. They are sort of like the Peddle commander, gives you the illusion of increased performance. Think about it this way, no matter what pads, rotor thickness and pad material, it does not change the energy needed to slow the truck. That’s a constant within any set of parameters.

Warren-RB

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Every single "big brake kit" on the market that fits under stock wheels uses a rotor that's smaller than stock. It won't go through rotors faster than any of those kits.
Not necessarily true. There is a brake kit for TRX w/same rotor diameter as stock but thicker by 2mm (374x32 vs. stock 375x30) fits under stock 18" wheels. Kit has a 4-pot front calipers using standard FMSI pads. The calipers are fully compatible with stock calipers so you can install the complete system or just the caliper kit and run the stock rotors.

It's definitely more challengiing than offering a BBK but it can be done for Raptor too.

Warren-RB

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
One of the brake options offered by RB might have answered to your query.

Visit our vender thread here.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily true. There is a brake kit for TRX w/same rotor diameter as stock but thicker by 2mm (374x32 vs. stock 375x30) fits under stock 18" wheels. Kit has a 4-pot front calipers using standard FMSI pads. The calipers are fully compatible with stock calipers so you can install the complete system or just the caliper kit and run the stock rotors.

It's definitely more challengiing than offering a BBK but it can be done for Raptor too.

This is a Raptor forum, my post was about Raptor brake kit options.

One of the brake options offered by RB might have answered to your query.

Visit our vender thread here.

They specifically say they don't fit 17" OE beadlock wheels. The rear also isn't for electronic parking brake models, so none of those fit my truck.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Now these look like a good brake kit. This brake bias chart indicates a lot. Where Alcon’s give that nose dive, these brake should hold the truck flatter.

Attachments

• IMG_6316.png
    IMG_6316.png
    365.7 KB · Views: 11