Bicycle rack for Carbon Wheels and other bicycle mounting options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trail_Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a tailgate pad and have never had an issue, the wheels are not even close to the exhaust. If I'm only hauling one bike, tossing it in the bed is the best option.

Ducc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wheels should be at least 1ft away from the exhaust. Above is fine, but not directly behind it.

The issue with melting carbon rims is on smaller cars, where rack sits very low and exhaust is right behind it.

1Up is the nicest platform rack out there, it sits pretty high and will work. But since you have a truck, using platform rack looks kind of stupid. The next best thing is the tailgate pad. Easy, convinient and secure.

Here is how I do it:

View attachment 145301

P.S.: Don't ever leave bike on the truck unattended. It will be gone before you know it.

Fox Overland pad huh? Mine delivers tomorrow and I'm stoked about it.

Last edited:

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fox Overland pad huh? Mine delivers tomorrow and I'm stoked about

LOL, yeah! I was debating between Fox and RaceFace (pretty much the same pad), but ultimately went with Fox to match shocks on the truck =)

Ducc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on how many bikes you need to transport, you could try the in-bed rack that RockyMounts offers. You should be able to transport three. Here's a pic of mine. Note* this is a 27.5 short wheelbase bike, my XL Ripmo does not fit in the bed with the tailgate up. This means you have to angle the bike to make it work which will affect carrying capacity.

IMG_0347.jpg
IMG_0344.jpg IMG_0346.jpg

Ducc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, yeah! I was debating between Fox and RaceFace (pretty much the same pad), but ultimately went with Fox to match shocks on the truck =)

I was struggling between those options as well! Fox pad looks great on your truck, so I think I made the right choice.

Jimmy Snooka

Reaction score
9AF05DC9-70A0-4936-B150-776B8AC92872.jpeg I’ve been running tailgate pads on my Raptor and my previous truck. For me that was a major reason for owning a truck in the first place...ease of hauling big boy toys. I’ve never had an issue, and that’s with drives to local trails and driving from SD to Sedona and Colorado.

dart raptor

Reaction score
I use the back seat or the rocky mt on my bikes . The rocky mount there is no drilling and takes up no room when not in use.

Justin Hughes

Reaction score
I’m using the Pace bed cover with Thule rails and bike rack. A little more work getting the bike on than a hitch mount but you still get full use of the bed etc. with the bike on it.

390A3C75-5AD1-495E-98A6-F436EE835F56.jpeg

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
View attachment 145331

Just loose up handlebar!

I never mess with those bolts. Really hate the star-nut design, they barely work as it is, not something I'd tension and release frequently. Constantly re-tensioning against a bearing can't be good either. I pull the front wheel when I want bike under bed cover.