Bicycle rack for Carbon Wheels and other bicycle mounting options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mnutah

Reaction score
Hello,

Starting this thread as I've read the Raptor and Dodge ram can heat carbon bicycle wheels and destroy them, these are usually really expensive and I want to try to avoid this happening.

I've heard 1up, thule, Kuat and other hitch mounted racks are out of the question, is this true? Because of the dual exhaust blasting onto or below the wheel.

I also heard the tailgate pads can do the same thing and are not to be used. One of the big bike companies even said that.

So my question is first,

1.) Is this true and has anyone had wheels melted or heard of it happening? On either hitch mount or pad?

2.) What are other options, please post pics.

I am looking to transport bikes on 1500-2000 mile road trips at times.

Thanks everyone,

I take delivery next week, can't wait!!!

Chris Thomas

Reaction score
Easy, raise the rear seat and put your bike there. I’ve got a custom Trek Project One with $3000 Bontrager ****** 5.0 carbon rims. I’d never put my bike on an outside bike rack.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Simply not true. I have a hitch mounted bike rack and my entire road bike is carbon fiber and there is simply no way the exhaust heat comes even close to heating it up.

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wheels should be at least 1ft away from the exhaust. Above is fine, but not directly behind it.

The issue with melting carbon rims is on smaller cars, where rack sits very low and exhaust is right behind it.

1Up is the nicest platform rack out there, it sits pretty high and will work. But since you have a truck, using platform rack looks kind of stupid. The next best thing is the tailgate pad. Easy, convinient and secure.

Here is how I do it:

20200411_175759.jpg

P.S.: Don't ever leave bike on the truck unattended. It will be gone before you know it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mnutah

Reaction score

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1up will sit about 1 foot above the exhaust. If you want exact position, there are exploded views of their racks on https://www.1up-usa.com/

I had 1Up before I moved to tailgate pad. Awesome rack, by far the best one you can get.

Long story short, you can carry your bike however you like on Raptor, you'll be fine.

CHMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've managed an bike shop for almost a decade. I've seen it happen but honestly that rim needs to be basically touching the exhaust tip to be in trouble.

tom wansor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use pad for my Yeti and never had an issue. If I need to leave truck unattended, I put bike in rear seat area after folding up seats.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Are they using some kind of sub-standard material? exhaust heat isn’t that hot... unless you’re talking about the turbo housing during some dyno pulls, or thin wall TI headers after some prolonged WFO throttle.