GEN 1 BFG KO Cracking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try taking them to a reputable BFG Tire dealer and they may give you a prorated discount on new tires if yours are less than 6 years old from date of manufacture. Tire manufacturers say that tires only last 6 years regardless of tread wear.

I have had trouble with 3 different sets of BFG tires now - 2 tread peelers like a retread coming off and 1 had cracks and steel belt strand ends sticking out. Also had a bad set of Michelins with tread block throwing chunks of rubber off in normal street driving and cracks on all 4 tires.

BFG and Michelin are same company now. Quality sucks! Will never buy any tire of either of those brands anymore!!!

Aloha, HT

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Time for new tires, 2 things I watch closely TIRES & BRAKES !! With all that GO you need a lot of WHOA, tires and brakes provide that.

Brakes still look pretty good. Not sure what the original pad thickness should be, so I can't give an estimate of % remaining.

You could try taking them to a reputable BFG Tire dealer and the may give you a prorated discount on new tires if yours are less than 6 years old from date of manufacture. Tires manufacturers say that tires only last 6 years regardless of tread wear.

I have had trouble with 3 different sets of BFG tires now - 2 tread peelers like a retread coming off and 1 had cracks and steel belt strand ends sticking out. Also had a bad set of Michelins with tread block throwing chunks of rubber off in normal street driving.

BFG and Michelin are same company now. Quality sucks! Will never buy any tire of either of those brands anymore!!!

Aloha, HT

Honestly I am of similar thinking. My top 3replacements are: Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3, Yokohama Geolandar X-AT, Falken Wildpeak AT3W, with Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT and BFG AT KO2 as fall backs.

anymajordude

Reaction score
Jakenbake - This is a very important topic and thank you for broaching it.

It's not just mileage and off-roading that wears tires - it's time.

Paul Walker was killed in a Porsche that was super low mileage, but had 9 year old tires and when the driver spun them - the extreme heat build up - blew up both the rear tires and the occupants.

I have a '79 Scout II restomod with 9 year old BFG's and low miles since the rebuild. Santa is going to replace all 5 (spare too) because I won't roll the dice with safety.

FYI everybody - when you see "new" tires for sale at low prices - they probably have been sitting around for a couple of years.

The DOT date code is printed on the side of every tire - buyer beware.

OP
OP
J

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Jakenbake - This is a very important topic and thank you for broaching it.

It's not just mileage and off-roading that wears tires - it's time.

Paul Walker was killed in a Porsche that was super low mileage, but had 9 year old tires and when the driver spun them - the extreme heat build up - blew up both the rear tires and the occupants.

I have a '79 Scout II restomod with 9 year old BFG's and low miles since the rebuild. Santa is going to replace all 5 (spare too) because I won't roll the dice with safety.

FYI everybody - when you see "new" tires for sale at low prices - they probably have been sitting around for a couple of years.

The DOT date code is printed on the side of every tire - buyer beware.

I'm pretty sure my wife cried more when Paul Walker died than if I were too.

As far as dates, I checked my sidewall this morning and my tires were manufactured on the 21st week of 2014. Per BFGoodrich, tires should be inspected at least annually after 5 years age and should be replaced after 10 years even if they have sufficient tread remaining. I can't remember for sure (and this could be me confusing this with my previous truck) but I thought truck was built in May. Wonder how quick BFG gets the tires to ford?

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just replaced OEM BFG KO's on my 14. Still had good life on them but I just don't trust the dry rot and well the KO's suck in the rain/wet roads.

I was stuck between the Mickey's P3s and ST MAXX's.

Went with the ST's after I found a good deal on them (Manufactured on the 2nd week of 2019 per tire code)

BBQPorkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its funny no one mentioned or maybe I missed it but those tires will chunk once they are off-road. Time to replace before you go just like everyone has stated pretty much.

OP
OP
J

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just replaced OEM BFG KO's on my 14. Still had good life on them but I just don't trust the dry rot and well the KO's suck in the rain/wet roads.

I was stuck between the Mickey's P3s and ST MAXX's.

Went with the ST's after I found a good deal on them (Manufactured on the 2nd week of 2019 per tire code)

I am partial to cooper/Mickey Thompson as they are located in Ohio, but I also like to try new things out. Currently a toss up on the three I am looking at.

Also I agree, I have not been impressed with the KO’s on wet roads.

its funny no one mentioned or maybe I missed it but those tires will chunk once they are off-road. Time to replace before you go just like everyone has stated pretty much.

I don’t believe it was mentioned, but that is a valid point. My plan originally was to replace them early this year as I really don’t care for them, but deciding to go on these two runs has accelerated my time table on some other modifications. So I decided to go back and look at the necessity of each replacement part/modification including new tires. I actually wouldn’t care if they got chunked up on a run as they are very likely getting replaced sometime this year no matter what but in the interest of safety I will like replace them within the month.

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you did dang good getting 40k on your BF's. Not a personal fan of them but regardless, I would replace them. I did a couple of desert runs this year and you get enough flats with new tires.

OP
OP
J

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not responsible for the first 22,000 miles on the truck so I can’t speak to how it was driven. When I was daily driving it I drove about 40 miles per day and about 3/4 of the drive was highway/interstate. I don’t slam on the brakes, or really spin the tires on takeoff. I do roll into pretty good once it has reached operating temperature and don’t drive it overly easy though. I will say my dad recent got over 85,000 miles on his OEM brakes in his 1500 GMC Sierra, so perhaps I come by it honest, although I drive a bit more aggressive than he does.

It is a little funny though back when I had the dodge, and was on one of the dodge forums I noticed people were buy tires after tires and I couldn’t help but wonder how many miles were on the truck since I got nearly 60,000 out of the ATZ’s before I traded the truck. When I traded the truck the tires were at about 40% as well.

Side note I recently ordered some new tires, went with Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3’s. I had the original ATZ’s on my 2006 dodge so we will see how these work out.