GEN 1 BFG KO Cracking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s the angle. They’ve been wearing fine. I really only drive that thing off road so they’re pretty chewed in spots lol. I’ll need to replace them next spring. It’s a 2014 with 10k miles, only pavement is here to the trailhead like 5miles away [emoji23]

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you put them up next to a new set, you will see why you needed new tires. If its anything, I bought a new set of ko2's in 2014, and I just replaced them last week. They looked identical. Youll be relieved with a new set of rubber. The older they are, the harder the rubber becomes, and less pliable in everyday driving and offroad

OP
OP
J

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score

If I am being honest, I figured this ^ was the direction I would be going.

It’s the angle. They’ve been wearing fine. I really only drive that thing off road so they’re pretty chewed in spots lol. I’ll need to replace them next spring. It’s a 2014 with 10k miles, only pavement is here to the trailhead like 5miles away [emoji23]

I often wish I were that close to a trail that I could take the truck on.

When you put them up next to a new set, you will see why you needed new tires. If its anything, I bought a new set of ko2's in 2014, and I just replaced them last week. They looked identical. Youll be relieved with a new set of rubber. The older they are, the harder the rubber becomes, and less pliable in everyday driving and offroad

I have had the spare off a few times and I can see the difference.

As above, I imagine I am on the way to a new set of tires.....6 years, 40,000+ miles

OP
OP
J

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty damn cool you have a Gen 1 setting around with 40k miles lol. My 14 was the best truck I’ve ever owned.

Yea, I used to daily drive it but now I drive it once or twice a week. Bought a 2000 ranger 4 cylinder 5 speed to daily drive. It has 160,000 on the clock.

I've had several sets of KO2's and definitely time to replace. Why take a chance on safety?

I certainly do not disagree with you. More or less wanted to verify it wasn’t cosmetic only prior to replacing a set with near 50% tread depth remaining. Perhaps it is me dragging my feet as to deciding on what tires to replace it with, LOL.

Reaction score
A Raptor is a heavy beast. It's going to go through tires faster than your dad's Buick Century. Do yourself a favor and just buy some new tires already. Even at 40,000 they may have tread left but they are old. When you drive the truck with it's new tires I guarantee you will feel like you bought a new rig. That's a heck of a lot cheaper than a new truck

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calling all tire guru’s. Quick background: My truck is a 2014 with the factory BFG KO’s . Tires have a shade over 40,000 miles on them and are at about 47% based on tread depth remaining. They have had cracking in the tread and sidewalks for a while now, not even sure when the cracks started and I can’t remember when I first noticed them. Please see below for photos of the cracking, note that you may need to zoom in to see them on the sidewall.

I am preparing for my first off-road run in February and my second in March.

Is the general consensus that these should be replaced prior to taking them out or that it is superficial and should be ok?

I was thinking that airing down would allow more flex and open the cracks up, but then again it will reduce pressure and may be better on them.

Thanks.

View attachment 134122 View attachment 134123

Tires should be replaced regardless of remaining tread after about 5 years. More or less depending on how the vehicle is stored and in your case where you keep it outside definitely looks like the tire is out of service life. Rubber degrades over time regardless of weather you drive on them or not. Rotten rubber isn't something I'd trust off road or on road. Tire age starts after the date of manufacture not the date they were installed. You should check the date code on your tire: https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tires101-readingsidewall.html If they were mine I'd definitely replace them and I certainly wouldn't trust them on an off road run.

OP
OP
J

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Based on what little you drive, let these go another 10k, especially if you aren't going off road.

If I were not going on the two runs early next year, I would probably keep them for another year. I do wonder how they would react to being aired down and how that would affect the cracks in the tread block.

A Raptor is a heavy beast. It's going to go through tires faster than your dad's Buick Century. Do yourself a favor and just buy some new tires already. Even at 40,000 they may have tread left but they are old. When you drive the truck with it's new tires I guarantee you will feel like you bought a new rig. That's a heck of a lot cheaper than a new truck

I understand that it will feel quite different with new tires. Tires, bushings, shocks, etc all age relatively slow and you don’t realize how bad they are until you get new ones. I very likely will have tires within the month, but wanted to do my due diligence prior to purchasing a new set.

Tires should be replaced regardless of remaining tread after about 5 years. More or less depending on how the vehicle is stored and in your case where you keep it outside definitely looks like the tire is out of service life. Rubber degrades over time regardless of weather you drive on them or not. Rotten rubber isn't something I'd trust off road or on road. Tire age starts after the date of manufacture not the date they were installed. You should check the date code on your tire: https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tires101-readingsidewall.html If they were mine I'd definitely replace them and I certainly wouldn't trust them on an off road run.

I agree on the age being one variable to replace them. I actually did a small research paper on that subject for a public speaking class in school. 7 years stood out to me, but I am not surprised at 5.

one thing I bet a lot of people forget about is that the spare should be replaced in that same window, despite the tread remaining.

I will look up the date code on the tire once it quits raining here.

I appreciate all the replies.