BFG KM3 MT 500mile Report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am not a tire expert either, but I have done probably 40+ thousand miles off road. My thought is that because you don't air down, the tires don't flex as much, and can then get shredded easier. I have 32K miles on my 19 Raptor, and have been off road a good amount, also down in Vegas, and they still look great (but not in the summer). I do air down to less than 20 all the time off road, and have gone as low as 12. On the hwy I run 36 front 34 back, no load in the bed.

I did have to replace one as it got a nail on the road and the patch didn't hold well. So I bought a new one and put the spare on the other side. That was at 20K. My original tires that have 32K on them still have plenty of tread, but I will replace them in the spring.

My 2 cents, which is all it is worth.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am not a tire expert either, but I have done probably 40+ thousand miles off road. My thought is that because you don't air down, the tires don't flex as much, and can then get shredded easier. I have 32K miles on my 19 Raptor, and have been off road a good amount, also down in Vegas, and they still look great (but not in the summer). I do air down to less than 20 all the time off road, and have gone as low as 12. On the hwy I run 36 front 34 back, no load in the bed.

I did have to replace one as it got a nail on the road and the patch didn't hold well. So I bought a new one and put the spare on the other side. That was at 20K. My original tires that have 32K on them still have plenty of tread, but I will replace them in the spring.

A lot of good cents add up to make dollar$.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score

My 2 cents, which is all it is

Running 32 they conform to the rocks pretty good and that’s still an acceptable Hyw. Pressure. I don’t think any pressure will make much of a difference in that 200 degree volcanic f<>kng rock :rolleyes: the lower pressure definitely will offer a nicer ride in the rocks. I have my deflators set at 18psi. Anything lower than that for me is not worth losing a bead, especially since I’m solo most of the time. I think the most important factor in shredding the shoes is Not Spining them in rock, especially some of the sharp stuff here as you well know, thoughts?
When are y’all heading out this way? September/October?D43486EF-FA90-4882-9B38-B66394B0A892.jpeg0D71BFF9-AA5D-4A51-8F44-57AB11A9B1F8.jpeg1795A108-A525-460C-8E83-2A28EE2B6FAB.jpegF5EF96CD-2A4F-4AEE-8B0D-49CD6F5E87E7.jpegA642D9D6-5533-4553-977C-0FA082B253D6.jpeg

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What ever pressure works for you is the best pressure for your truck.

My experience is that blowing a bead won't happen at 12 unless you are doing donuts at high speed, or turn hard while stuffed in a rock. I have even seen people without bead locks go down to 8, however I would not do that. On the Raptor I do not go below 14 now, although I did do 12 once without a problem.

My 6,200 pound Hemi Jeep has 39" KM3s that I put on last fall (I had 40s before, but the KM3s only come in 39s). I do have bead locks, but still can't go much below 12 because on a steep down the rubber will wrinkle to the rim. The bigger KM3s seem to use a more pliable rubber. My 40 KM2s unmounted, you could push down with one hand, where the 37s were so stiff you could sit on them. This Jeep stays in Moab (although I have it with me now in Ouray, CO) and I run on the local roads at 18 psi. The dealer in Moab also runs them on his Jeep and he is the one that told me to run them low. Off road I go down to around 12, mostly for comfort, as my Jeep will climb almost everything.

Pressure is a personal thing, I go low because I like the ride better. On the highway you have to raise the pressure because of the heat they will build up at higher speeds. When I am aired down, I try not to go faster than 50, although sometimes the Devil makes me do it. :cool:

On the Raptor, if I am going to do 75 or 80 on the highway for a while, I make sure they are set at 38 & 36. In the winter I air down and run 36 & 34 even at high speed, as heat will not be much of a problem.

Sorry for such a long post.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Running 32 they conform to the rocks pretty good and that’s still an acceptable Hyw. Pressure. I don’t think any pressure will make much of a difference in that 200 degree volcanic f<>kng rock :rolleyes: the lower pressure definitely will offer a nicer ride in the rocks. I have my deflators set at 18psi. Anything lower than that for me is not worth losing a bead, especially since I’m solo most of the time. I think the most important factor in shredding the shoes is Not Spining them in rock, especially some of the sharp stuff here as you well know, thoughts?

I’m not sure what pressure you’re running in the pictures, but whatever it is, I think I’d not go any lower because you’re getting very good conformation and deflection. I wouldn’t go any lower.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
What ever pressure works for you is the best pressure for your truck.

My experience is that blowing a bead won't happen at 12 unless you are doing donuts at high speed, or turn hard while stuffed in a rock. I have even seen people without bead locks go down to 8, however I would not do that. On the Raptor I do not go below 14 now, although I did do 12 once without a problem.

My 6,200 pound Hemi Jeep has 39" KM3s that I put on last fall (I had 40s before, but the KM3s only come in 39s). I do have bead locks, but still can't go much below 12 because on a steep down the rubber will wrinkle to the rim. The bigger KM3s seem to use a more pliable rubber. My 40 KM2s unmounted, you could push down with one hand, where the 37s were so stiff you could sit on them. This Jeep stays in Moab (although I have it with me now in Ouray, CO) and I run on the local roads at 18 psi. The dealer in Moab also runs them on his Jeep and he is the one that told me to run them low. Off road I go down to around 12, mostly for comfort, as my Jeep will climb almost everything.

Pressure is a personal thing, I go low because I like the ride better. On the highway you have to raise the pressure because of the heat they will build up at higher speeds. When I am aired down, I try not to go faster than 50, although sometimes the Devil makes me do it. :cool:

On the Raptor, if I am going to do 75 or 80 on the highway for a while, I make sure they are set at 38 & 36. In the winter I air down and run 36 & 34 even at high speed, as heat will not be much of a problem.

Sorry for such a long post.
Thank You for the info. Ouray?? I’m so jealous! I love that whole area along the Million Dollar Hwy. Incredibly beautiful! Post some pictures. We were up there 2yrs ago in July and everything above 10500’ was still snowed in :( Avalanche fields everywhere.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
I’m not sure what pressure you’re running in the pictures, but whatever it is, I think I’d not go any lower because you’re getting very good conformation and deflection. I wouldn’t go any lower.
I may be getting more deflection than you normally would at 32, probably because of the weights I carry?

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since I don't have the Raptor with me, I really don't want to start a thread on a Raptor forum.

First picture is our campsite. Second is a waterfall on the way to Imogene Pass, wife wanted to search for cool rocks. Third is on the way back down.

Short trail today, chance of rain, and first day on the trails here.

Attachments

• Camp 1.jpg
    Camp 1.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Trail 1.jpg
    Trail 1.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Trail 2.jpg
    Trail 2.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 26