Beyond Devil's Garden - Peek-a-boo Slot Canyon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Located in the Breathtaking Grand Staircase Escalante is the Devil's Garden. Just down the road from DG, you have an incredible, tight little slot, Peek-a-boo. If you don't like confined spaces, this one is not a good choice. Several times I had to remove my pack in order to fit through the crack...it gets tight when you are over 6' and 200#
I have done cave/confined space rescue, but as I have gotten older, I don't really like them anymore. I have had probably 25+ MRI's, never a problem in that tight *** tube. On my last one I decided, I don't like this any more :(
My point being, know before you go! Finding out 1/2 way into the Slot is not a good option. The only way to escape is back the way you came and it may be backwards because you may not be able to turn your body around. I amglad I did it when I was younger, I doubt that I will ever do it again. If you are not familiar with Slots and washes in the Desert...Know your weather in the surrounding 50 mile radius. Rains 50 miles from your intended Slot/Wash can Kill You. It happens every year at Zion.

2015-10-03 DEVILS GARDEN 178.JPG2015-10-03 DEVILS GARDEN 179.JPG2015-10-03 DEVILS GARDEN 181.JPG2015-10-03 DEVILS GARDEN 182.JPG2015-10-03 DEVILS GARDEN 183.JPG

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another thing to be careful about in slots. Rattlesnakes. They fall in from the top and then freeze up because it's cold in the bottom. It's easy to put a hand or foot on one by accident.