better door detent location mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

russm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine in and had them installed in about 30 minutes....the string idea was the ticket.
so, after installing them my RF door creaked. I tried tightening the bolts differently and using some grease to no avail. So I took it out and put the old one back in and no creak. I said hmmmmm....and put the new one back in and it creaked. I decided to see if it would go away on its own.

Well, I could not stand it so I started playing around with the detents. Put the old one back in and it creaked. Put new one in; creak, put old one it; creak. Then I got the brilliant idea to just close the door without any detents and the door creaked........

There is a stupid piece of rubber above the top hinge. I lubricated the stupid piece of rubber and the creak immediately ceased. So, after calling myself everything in the book, I put the new one back in and promptly broke off one of the 13 mm bolts even though I was using my torque wrench.

I contacted Peter and told him about the idiot installer breaking off a bolt and he said no problem he will send one out right away at no charge.......Now that is the best customer service ever!!!!

Thank you very much Peter I really appreciate it.

Oh yeah, these detents are what should have come on the truck. Great product and awesome customer service.

Russ Out

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was very happy to find this Door Detent Thread. Sorry to restart an old topic, but I think many might have missed this one. One thing that always bothered me was the lack of a door detent midway between slightly open and full open. I had placed a 3M strip on the edge of the door to prevent chipping and damaging the car next to me while parking, which was not ideal. I am very happy with the result, but it was a bit tricky to install. I wound up dropping the plastic plug inside the fender. Is there any other way to access the inner fender, perhaps through the SVT emblem? If not, I'll keep trying to fish it out or just buy a new plug.

After doing the install with the DD3.0 from Northlight Labs, I think the best way to do this is to mod them yourself as @TheJoker has done. Since I have the originals laying around, I might as well do the mod in case someone else wants to give it a try.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was very happy to find this Door Detent Thread. Sorry to restart an old topic, but I think many might have missed this one. One thing that always bothered me was the lack of a door detent midway between slightly open and full open. I had placed a 3M strip on the edge of the door to prevent chipping and damaging the car next to me while parking, which was not ideal. I am very happy with the result, but it was a bit tricky to install. I wound up dropping the plastic plug inside the fender. Is there any other way to access the inner fender, perhaps through the SVT emblem? If not, I'll keep trying to fish it out or just buy a new plug.

After doing the install with the DD3.0 from Northlight Labs, I think the best way to do this is to mod them yourself as @TheJoker has done. Since I have the originals laying around, I might as well do the mod in case someone else wants to give it a try.

I'm still very happy with the mod. It has saved my door from dings on many occasions, and didn't cost a dime. I wonder if the 2015+ trucks have better detent locations?

I believe one of my plastic plugs fell in and I was able to retrieve it through the same hole. It wasn't easy, small hands help.

ghost rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Skyfrog your not alone I dropped my plastic plug in as well on the driver side. I was going to buy another plug however until reading your post I had forgot about it. So currently I have been plugless for the last year or so. LOL, I guess I should look up the part number and order one. With that said it was an easy install of the detents.

Uzzirider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the DIY posts guys. Just did my drivers side in about 20 minutes. Good tip with the string!
Great bang for the buck.

M32

Reaction score
Just did both sides in about 30 minutes. As everyone said, the rope/string is KEY. Great product

Edwin